Lunch Ideas?

iVillage Member
Lunch Ideas?
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 8:41am

Hey ladies... I pack my lunch to take to school with me each day and the last two days I've had to throw my lunch away because it grosses me out in some way so then I eat some saltines and a granola bar and end up hungry and that's not good. So I'm looking for ideas of what has sounded good to you all. Maybe I'll get some ideas of things I haven't thought of yet. I'm also having a hard time eating protein because most meat makes me gag. Any ideas?? Thanks everyone!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: kbeth85
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 9:08am

I don't know what I'd do if I had to pack a lunch. Even when not pregnant, what sounds good in the morning isn't necessarily what I want come noon. I work from home so I am lucky that I have all the food at my fingertips.

But, when I was in the office, I would take a few Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones and put in our freezer... then I had choices. Is this an option for you? What about microwavable soups? Yogurt? Individually wrapped cheeses (like string cheese, or the shaped cheddar kind, I think there are Disney ones)? Oatmeal is a good standby, even though instant isn't as good for us as the cook-on-the-stove kind (I love steel cut oats). If you're really not into food food, you can get some Ensure or Boost... they have both of those in high protein.

Here at home lately I've been on a cheese quesadilla kick. That, milk, and yogurt are my best sources of protein right now. I like meat, I just HATE cooking right now (which is a problem since we are a family of 5). Don't count eggs out, either. Even just a few hard-boiled eggs are good if you have that option. In my quesadillas and yogurt I add wheat germ for the vites -- it's actually better than it sounds in the quesadillas. I eat those cold, too. Not sure if you can stomach that or not.

Another standby is fortified cereal. I love Total, but then I also love Cookie Crisp. LOL. I'm really just a big kid. I had a hankering for Spaghetti-Os the other day so now my pantry is stocked with that! Oh, and corned beef & hash. I have issues. LOL.

HTH! I know how hard it is to eat sometimes.

Brie
#4 EDD 8/5/12

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 9:50am
Reliable snacks for me include things with peanut butter--ants on a log (celery/pb/raisins), apples and peanut butter, and peanut-butter and banana sandwiches. Other decently palatable recent options include something with cream cheese (Ritz crackers and cream cheese, mini-bagels and cream cheese). I am craving a lot of fruit, so I find that if I have fruit (apples, berries, pear, anything juicy), I can alternate a bite of something else with a bite of fruit. Pasta has also been decent for me (Real Simple has a killer recipe for homemade mac and cheese with cauliflower that is a little different than your standard mac and cheese, and it takes about 15 min to throw together, makes lots of leftovers, and reheats well).

I really feel your pain. I have spent a small fortune on eating out lately at lunch because I have to go with whatever sounds mildly appetizing at that moment, and it's not always cheap OR healthy. If I pack a variety of small snacks, I do better. Also, try to snack throughout the day. That's been helping me too. Popcorn has been a life-saver (maybe it's the salt?).

Good luck!
C

ps When all else fails, I've been able to eat a hard-boiled egg with salt. :)
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 11:28am

I have this problem too.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 2:05pm
I stock up on yogurt and granola, cheese sticks, apples and peanut butter, goldfish crackers, pretzels. For lunches I try to do a Smart One or something like that since i actually eat every 3 hours, so I don't do huge meals.