Maternity Leave

iVillage Member
Maternity Leave
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 6:55pm

So at my school they offer 6 weeks maternity leave. I was having a really hard time with this because I just don't feel like that is enough time. Ideally I would be a stay at home mom...but right now that just isnt' an option for my husband and I since my job has benefits. So I looked into my options and it looks like the school has to offer me 12 weeks. So I've decided that

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 8:37pm

Well, that's kind of a bummer about the sick bank, but, so many places give women zilch for maternity leave at all. So, that's something I suppose.

I get 3 weeks paid maternity leave, and right now I'm looking at just taking 6 total. I have almost 3 weeks of OT saved up plus 2 weeks of vacation, and I could take all of it, but I work from home, and don't feel like I need to, plus I need some days for a cushion just in case. I was talking to one of my three counterparts about it just this morning, and I'll come back on a part-time basis for a month if workload gets crazy out of hand after I take 3 weeks off. I could easily do 10-2, M-F since I could sleep in and the kids will be home on summer break to help out if I needed them to. But, I won't decide anything definitive until we see what jobs roll in and how crazy things can get. I was on vacation last week and things got a bit hairy in my absence, so I think 6 could be really hard on everyone, and more time would be just too much (and I'll earn more OT before then, for sure). But, our business is typically slower during the summer, so it may work out ok. It's really just a wait-and-see thing. The partners will be fine with whatever I decide to do, regardless. I really have the best job ever. :)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 9:11pm
I feel your pain! At my school, any paid time is from my sick leave and personal days or people can donate time to me. I wanted to take of until after Christmas but my brother-in-law is dying of cancer and my husband is going to visit him now which is quite a bit of money since it is on the other side of the country. Then we have to have the money ready for when he does pass.

I will probably go back beginning of November because that is right after conferences and a good time transition the students.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 10:25pm

I think it's pretty standard in most companies to have to use your sick time as a part of your maternity leave. My company offers 8 weeks of short term disability coverage at 60% of your salary. But before that begins, you have to use your 5 days of sick time before the short term disability kicks in... and at that point them just mail you a check with the total amount of your 60% pay at that one time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 7:38am

My maternity leave situation is a bit different than working in the 'real' world. I will be taking 4 weeks barring any issues, but baby will be coming with me. I coach competitive gymnastics and it's not as though there are subs to take my spot for an extended leave nor is it a position that can sit vacant until I come back. I will also be taking it unpaid as I do not carry benefits/disability insurance through my job and this doesn't fall under workman's comp.

With DS 1, I was teaching 3rd grade. I took 14 weeks since DS came 2 weeks early and I refused to come back earlier than first planned. Unfortunately, I had only been in that district for one year prior and did not have many sick days, I took 10 days of sick time to get paid for my leaving early, but certainly did not have enough days for taking all of it paid. Our sick bank was very specific as to who/why you used days from there so I didn't even bother. I took 12 unpaid weeks of maternity leave- the best part of it being unpaid was that I didn't feel obligated to create lesson plans or anything after the first two weeks other than a pacing guigde for each subject.. I have to say that I wish school districts had better maternity policies/compensation plans.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 7:56am

I agree -- I think schools should be a little more family friendly

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 2:15pm
I get so frustrated reading threads like this where a lot of women can barely have a month with their newborn and usually NO time off while pregnant. In a lot of non-US countries, women get off the last 8 weeks before their EDD and some get up to a year PAID after giving birth. That sounds like heaven - I wish America would get hip to just a fraction of those policies!

Anyway, I only work weekends, but I pay into short term disability and can have up to 6 months off at 70% pay, which actually comes out to more per paycheck because of taxes and dues and whatnot. So I'll be begging my midwife for some excuse to go out starting around 28 weeks :) I only get 6 weeks off after delivery paid by disability and usually take a few more weeks of vacation time. Having all that time off work is my favorite part of being pregnant haha!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 5:53pm

It really is sad. I didn't even know what our maternity leave policy was until I got knocked up. I was floored that I got ANY paid time off. It's just not the usual, and it's a shame.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:05am

Hello ladies,

I just thought I'd mention that I am actually an attorney. (Just barely, LOL, I took the bar last summer and have only been licensed since the fall.)

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:14pm

I love that we have a lawyer in our ranks who's willing to help find out if any of us are getting screwed :) That's fabulous! You rock!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 10:02am

My work gives me 12 weeks maternity. 8 weeks under short term disability (paid at 75% or something like that) and then 4 weeks maternity (paid at 100%). I can take 4 weeks vacation on top of that, if I have that much accrued (I do)

Tha thing is that I was recently promoted to Manager and I don't want to overdo it and seem unreliable. I am expecting to be in touch with my employees and work from home during maternity as well.

BabyFetus Ticker