Is my dad's dog sensing labor coming?

iVillage Member
Is my dad's dog sensing labor coming?
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 9:58am

So I live with my disabled father to help him get around and make him meals and what not. He has a very smart pup, but he's glued to my dad's hip. There have been times my dad fell and the dog has run outside or downstairs to get me, among other things. The only time the dog leaves my dad's side is if he goes out and there's a storm or on the 4th the fireworks scared him so he came and sat with me. The dog HATES my husband. One time my husband gently tossed him into the garage because we were leaving and couldn't take the dog, but the kids managed to let him back out. He was an idiot and thought he'd land on all fours like a cat. However, he did not. He landed on his side and slide across the garage floor. He was fine because it was a gentle toss and it wasn't from high, but it was enough that Maxx (the dog) has disliked him since. He won't even take a treat from him. So my point is our apartment/living area is downstairs and Maxx doesn't bother to come down unless there's something extreme. Last night at 3am I woke up for my routine pee and there was something snuggled with my legs. I thought it was my 2 year old until I felt it and it was fluffy! Here it was Maxx! I was so caught off guard. Why would he be in my bed? I quickly peed and made sure my dad was ok, which he was, so I googled dogs sensing labor. I found stome stuff, one saying dogs can sense labor up to 3 days before it happens. So we'll see if anything happens...

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 8:55am
With my first labor my dog TOTALLY sensed it. She wouldn't leave my side, she was literally under my feet all day. I labored at home for a while and every time I would start to get a contraction she would jump in my lap. Not exactly the most comforting thing while having contractions ;-) but it was really sweet. When we finally left for the hospital we left her with my next door neighbor. Neigbor said she didn't eat the entire time I was gone. Poor little dog, I think the whole thing was harder on her than it was on me ;-)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 8:35am

I have read everything from it being true dog intuition to dogs even just picking up on something different about you (even if you don't realize it) - so I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with it.  Will be very interesting if you go into labor soon now!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 12:00am
Hmmmm, never googled it, but my dog was acting weird in the days leading up to my labor as well. Just now realized that.
Photobucket