My first experience with maternity pants!

iVillage Member
My first experience with maternity pants!
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 12:24pm

And holy CRAP they are COMFORTABLE!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 8:47pm

I am a total GAP girl, have been for many, many years. I only own maternity pants/shorts from the GAP. They not only come in actual sizes, but since I wear GAP jeans anyways, I know they are long enough (I am 5'10") and will hold up. I did buy a new pair of jeans for this pg, but my stuff from 2009 still looks great and fits well. Anything you can get from there on sale is well worth it.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 6:31pm

Like the others have said, I think it depends on the cut and the fabric of the dress as to whether it will fit or not. All but one of mine are empire waist, and all very flowy, strechy fabric, so they'll fit for a while, but doubtfully the entire pregnancy since I tend to be HUGEMONGOUS by 6 months. I have two really cute ones that are either cut differently or fit just right and I'm sure I won't be able to wear them at all.

I'll buy only a few since I work from home and only need some to wear around the house and maybe a couple for when we go out to eat or whatever. So not breaking the bank on clothes if I can avoid it.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 6:15pm
I have a few empire waist type sundresses that I was able to wear last time around, and I imagine I'll be able to wear them this time around. Some of my other dresses, maybe, maybe not.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 6:13pm

Since I started this pregnancy smaller than my previous, I went out and bought a smaller pair of maternity pants (all of my first pregnancy ones are too big). I'm loving them because they fit slimmer in the thighs, but the belly is super stretchy! Even my size 12 regular jeans are getting too tight.

As for sundresses, I suppose it depends on the cut of the dress... if they are loose empire waist, then maybe they would work... but if their slim fitting through the abdomen, I highly doubt they will work. I loved sun dresses during my first and have them still in the closet ready to go for this go round!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 5:16pm
I haven't tried the under the belly ones yet! These have the stretchy material all on top of the belly, but they just fit great right underneath the belly! And they do regular sizes too- mine was in my regular size and they fit great!

Speaking of sundresses, I am SOOOO a sundress girl and I have a TON, I was just wondering if you think I'll be able to wear any of them during pregnancy. Do you have maternity sundresses you wear, or are you able to just wear your regular sundresses with a bump? I want to just wear all my dresses I already have but I don't know if that is going to work! :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 3:35pm

Glad you found something you like!

I bought a couple pairs of maternity jeans at Gap the other day and really love them. I don't know what kind you got, but the ones I have are the demi-panel, so it sits under the belly and so long as I don't chunk out in the butt or thigh area, they'll last me the entire pregnancy (not that I'll be wearing jeans in the Texas heat, LOL -- will be all sundresses once May rolls around).

The only reason I went to Gap is because they actually have true sizes, not the S/M/L that every other maternity store I'm seeing has -- though I've not seen an Old Navy with maternity clothes yet (our outlet mall doesn't carry them, didn't think to look at the big mall the other day). I want something that fits me from the get-go. We're going to the big mall again in a couple weeks so I'll have to take a look-see!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8