Natural or Medicated Birth?

iVillage Member
Natural or Medicated Birth?
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 5:50pm

This is my 7th pregnancy and I have had 6 wonderful all natural non medicated deliveries... but for this one, which will probably be the last, I am thinking epidural. I have put in my share of pain for childbirth and would like to experience a pain free labor for a change. Has anyone had an epidural before and what is your feedback on them?

pregnancy calendar

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 6:00pm
I have only ever had c/s's so I'm no help but I'd be all for a pain free delivery :) You earned it I'd say!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 6:59pm
I only have one daughter, and had an unmedicated birth with her. I plan to do the same with this one :) GL to you whatever you decide!
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 9:26pm

This is #4 for me, and so far I have had a dose of pain meds during each labor, but no epidurals. I was thinking the same thing, considering this is our last why not try the epidural? I'm a nurse and I think that is why I am more leery of an epidural, I've seen them been given and seen how it really does change labor. Still on the fence if I'll try it or not. BTW the pain meds only helped with my 1st delivery the other times it *might have taken the edge off one contraction.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 7:25am

I had an epi for my first and will certainly for this one as well. It did not have any change on my labor as I got to the hospital at 3-4 cm, has the epi put in about an hr later and went to 10 and had baby in my arms in 2 hours. I may have had a short labor and delivery, but I was much calmer and had such minimal pain that I don't feel I need to be a hero in having a non medicated birth because after he was born I truly did enjoy him without pain.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 7:29am
I had one induction (which it turns out I'm allergic to the pitocin) with epidural. One wonderful, gone-into-labor epidural birth, and my last I labored at home, and went to the hospital to birth, au naturale. I would never go back to epidural again.

That being said, my epidurals were uneventful. I just hate having no clue about my body, and not being able to move after, etc. If you choose one, just read the research first (which I am sure you have, since you're a veteran mama); it would be of more benefit to you than a series of anecdotes that can run the gamut from mundane (me) to scary (crazy headaches, back pain for the rest of your life).
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 7:29am
Can I "like" what Melinda said? You definitely earned it!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 10:07am

My opinion on this has never changed and it never will.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 11:18am

I had a natural birth with my DD (she was 10 lb 7 oz!), and even though it was painful, the recovery was pretty easy.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 7:45pm
This is our 5th. He/she will be no meds and born at home.

1st - induced (I didn't know better), ended in an epi.

2nd - went into labor on my own, water broke on own, ob order pitocin to get labor moving, I order an epi.

3rd - had a midwife - totally natural!

4th - had a different midwife (because of move) - totally natural!
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 1:35pm
I would love a homebirth. We've been talking about an "unassisted" homebirth (with one of my good friends who is a l/d nurse and my dad who is a pediatrician...but no midwife, bc of finances). The midwife is also an hour and a half, and I can't make it to appts and back with my kids' school schedules. Growl! Really wanted this one at home. :(

The plan right now is to attend all my OB appts w midwife at Naval, then play it by ear near birth...
Photobucket

Pages