Natural or Medicated Birth?

iVillage Member
Natural or Medicated Birth?
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 5:50pm

This is my 7th pregnancy and I have had 6 wonderful all natural non medicated deliveries... but for this one, which will probably be the last, I am thinking epidural. I have put in my share of pain for childbirth and would like to experience a pain free labor for a change. Has anyone had an epidural before and what is your feedback on them?

pregnancy calendar

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 9:04pm
Then, my epidural must have worn off because I had a TON of pain!!!!!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 9:00pm

I've only been through one delivery and I had an epidural. My labor and delivery was picture perfect! Loved every moment. I pray my second goes just as well.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 10:07am

With both Libby and Will, I got the epi but they wore off in the nick of time so I could experience those wicked contractions.

With Jake, I got the epi and was on a pump -- so I never really had a lot of pain with him. About a half hour after he was born, I still couldn't feel my legs and mentioned to the nurse -- apparently they didn't turn off the pump. LOL. For the record, Jake would have been the one to not have an epi with -- I almost sneezed that little boy out of me. Two big pushes and then a third tiny push. But, he was a pound and change smaller than his brother and sister.

I remember being so scared to get the epi all three times. I'm crazy needle phobic... I am vaso vagal and I am known to faint during shots, blood draws, when I see blood, read something too graphic, etc. So it's a testament to my aversion to pain that I'd even consider an epi (never fainted during, but probably out of sheer fear of being paralyzed). I know I go into childbirth thinking I'll be brave, but I never am. Doubt I'll be brave enough to try it without this time. I admire those who can go natural on purpose. I'm just not that girl.

Best of luck whatever you decide. It's a very personal choice, and only you know what is best for you.

Brie

#4 EDD 8/5/12

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-01-2012 - 11:01pm

Thank you everyone for your input. At this point, I am still undecided, but am leaning toward an epidural this time around. I think I may do it just to have the experience.

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-01-2012 - 5:04am
I'm a fan of the epidural too! Mine was textbook though as far as pain control goes. I still felt plenty of pressure so I could read my body but no real pain. My only thing was that people never told me how bad it could hurt to GET the epidural. Lol. It's just not fun! But once it worked I was in love!

Jenn (28) & DH Zach (28)
Married 9/24/2005

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-01-2012 - 2:55am

I'm a total wuss and have had medicated births with all of my kids.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-31-2011 - 9:58pm
I was in labor with my first forrreevvvveeerrr and decided to get an epi. It took the guy 17 tries to finally get the needle in my back, and the medication made me SO ITCHY, but dear god was the lack of pain nice. I could still feel pressure but no contraction pain and no ring of fire or anything. It was a decent experience.

With my second I labored at home until the very last minute and got to the hospital 15 minutes before she was born. I managed to avoid the ring of fire with her somehow too, even without any meds or anything, and I felt like superwoman during and after.

I'm totally with you though on considering the epidural with this last one though! I probably will opt out, but man would it be nice to sleep through labor. The only thing that scares me though is I've heard so many stories of the epidural not taking or wearing off right at the beginning of pushing, etc. and I have no reason to assume that would happen to me, but if it did I think I'd rather have that build up of pain so that pushing is a relief rather than relaxrelaxHOLYCRAPIMGOINGTODIE!
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-31-2011 - 6:47pm

I've had half with an epi and half without... I think I did what was right for me at the time. I don't regret any of the methods at all. I like the epi, it helps with the pain and that makes me happy. For my last, I had the epi, fell asleep, and they had to come and wake me up to tell me it was show time! Best experience ever!! I really don't know how I will do this one. I think I am going to ask to be induced a week or 10 days early (end of July) because I start the school year in mid-August and want to go back to work after 6-7 weeks of maternity leave.... meaning I would only miss the first three weeks with my students. My family is important, but so is my career. If I wait to go into labor on my own (synonamous with NO epi)... then who knows when I will deliver and I just can't miss that much school. Hmmm... tough decisions. I really don't know what I will do at this point.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-31-2011 - 4:56pm
Epidural does not equal pain free labor.....lol. I had an epidural and as I was pushing I screamed that my vagina was exploding.....lol!!!!!!! So, I can't imagine NOT having one!!!!! I think it just makes the contractions more bearable. Mine came unplugged during the contractions and it made it hurt a lot!!!! But once it got plugged in again, I couldn't feel the contractions anymore. But as far as the delivery is concerned, I don't think anything makes it pain free.
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 1:35pm
I would love a homebirth. We've been talking about an "unassisted" homebirth (with one of my good friends who is a l/d nurse and my dad who is a pediatrician...but no midwife, bc of finances). The midwife is also an hour and a half, and I can't make it to appts and back with my kids' school schedules. Growl! Really wanted this one at home. :(

The plan right now is to attend all my OB appts w midwife at Naval, then play it by ear near birth...
Photobucket

Pages