Need some opinions from BTDT moms...

iVillage Member
Need some opinions from BTDT moms...
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 1:15am

So we're trying to find a theme to compromise on for the nursery.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 3:02pm

-

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 11:10pm

DH and I didn't find out what we were having the first time around so we went with a neutral

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 6:13pm

Another one?!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 5:03pm
My girls really haven't shown much interest in how I've decorated their rooms. They are 5, 3, and 1. I never went too baby with the decorations. I used a lot of hot pink and more big girl colors from the get go just because that's what I liked. But so far, no complaints. So I think you're good with whatever you decide either way. Plus, you may have another little one by the time this one gets tired of the decor and you could easily transfer the theme to the new baby and re - decorate at that time.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 4:58pm
I did a little bit of a theme with DS's room. It was Winne-the-Pooh, and it was boy oriented with blue trim on the carpet, laundry hamper and blue plaid curtains. But I also got lucky and didn't have to pay for it, my SIL's sister was upgrading her preschooler and wanted to hand it down to someone before donating it :) I've done a little updating myself, he has a hot wheels play carpet now and he's been in a low to the floor twin size bed since 18 months (I got tired of lifting his 30+lbs into his crib). I would like to do some more, and go with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme, but I'm waiting until we find out the gender on this baby, so I know if I can hand down or if I need to look at possibly to room sets.

One suggestion I do have for anyone is to have a red bulb in a lamp in the room at night. Your eyes don't need to adjust to red light like they do white, so if you have a red bulb on all night and baby starts crying you can just head right into the room and see just fine. It was a life-saver with mid-night feedings and diaper changes for me with DS.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 11:34am

We did themes that we liked for both of ours, and by 2 or so they had preferences and we let them pick new bedding.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 9:31am

Call us selfish...but when we had DD1, we just did a theme that we liked!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 8:17am

We've never really done themes, just with Libby since she was our first and everyone bought everything for us. We did Winnie-the-Pooh wall hanging, border, and crib set. But we moved when she was 18m and then we didn't hang things back up.

Libby carried her baby comforter around for forever -- she still has it (she's 19). William didn't have a bedding set, and Jacob's awesome Baby Gap set was lovely, but he didn't carry around the blanket or anything. I still have it (I have almost all of the baby blankets we've ever purchased), and it will probably get some use, but it's a boy theme so... I probably will buy sheets and a matching blanket/comforter for Zoë, but we won't do a crib bumper and we don't have a room to decorate for her since she'll be in our room.

If I had to pick either sports or safari for a boy, I'd probably go with sports. We're not sporty kind of people ourselves, but that would probably stand the test of time better. But then it depends on the kind of boy you have. William is absolutely crazy about elephants -- has a ton of them stuffed, and we've got pics of them from trips to the Zoo that he has framed in his bedroom, kind of scrapbooky-like (I do a lot of scrapbooking and then hang them -- don't believe in photos being in boxes or albums, which is why almost every inch of wall has pictures on it. LOL.

Anyhoo, there's just no way to predict what kind of boy you'll have (or girl for that matter), so themes can be sketchy. And, kids change their minds all the time. You'd have a few years before you'd have to change a theme, though.

As far as toddler beds go, I cannot help you there. The older 3 were never in them, and Zoë won't be, either. They've always gone from the crib to a trundle to a twin. But then we never had convertibles, either.

Good luck. It can be a challenging decision for sure!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 7:08am

We did not do a traditional baby's room in terms of decorating. I don't like themes since they come and go so quickly. My son's room is painted blue on top and white on the bottom with a simple chair rail to separate the colors. His furniture will be with him until he moves out since we bought an expensive, good quality dresser, wardrobe and convertible crib. His curtain is a simple blue and white with a blue plaid valance and we did not bother with a bedding set since I didn't find one I liked and he would outgrow it quickly. There isn't much by way of wall hangings either; just his name, a handpainted canvas that was in DH's room as a baby and a plaque that says 'Always kiss me goodnight."

IMO, don't waste your money on a bedding set as you won't get much use out of it and/or will have to change it some time during preschool.

Photobucket

<