Nothing like a flooded basement right before labor :-/

iVillage Member
Nothing like a flooded basement right before labor :-/
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 11:27am

Ugh, what a pain!  We moved the girls to the down staird bedroom to use their bedroom for the new baby.  Got new baby's room all squared away and a pipe breaks and sewage backs up all over the girls' room.  Grrrrrrrr, we moved them a bed on the floor in the new baby's room and they're sleeping in there until we can get this all figured out.  It's just annoying that I'm trying to get everything perfect and now it's all messed up.  Oh well, it can't be helped.  Just thought I'd vent.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Oh man, that sucks! Why do things like that happen in the least appropriate moments! I hope you're able to get it all cleaned up before the baby gets here and that you can get away with doing as little of the cleanup as possible - you don't want to go into labor tired.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Oh god, that sucks. I felt the same way before labor. Everything house-wise kept going wrong. I hope this isn't a tough fix. Concentrate on baby. That's all that matters.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Well on the up side, I've wanted to replace the carpet since we moved in over a year ago. On the down side, I really didn't want to have to do it now, and now that I found out that I'm not getting a paycheck for the next 3 months, it is a really inopportune time. Oh well, it is what it is. For right now it's dry, DH is running the carpet cleaner over it (thankful for him) Hopefully we can just deal with it until I start working again. No worries, I'm sure the pioneers had to put up with a lot worse than this ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
We have 2 dehumidifiers running on it. Everything seems pretty dry. I agree, mold is my #1 concern. We ripped it all up and ran the dehumidifier on the carpet and under it and on the pad for the past 3 days, it feels really dry and doesn't smell that bad any more. I have a claims adjuster coming on Monday to check out the damage and see if our insurance will buy new carpet. It doesn't matter that much because we have $1,000 deductable and I don't think the carpet will cost much more than that, it's not a big room so we shall see.
Photobucket