Oh the frustration...

iVillage Member
Oh the frustration...
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 9:02am

I'm very frustrated with all the people managing my high risk pregnancy. Going back a few months...when we first discovered baby was in the 97th percent tile the Dr. came in and said at 37 weeks we are going to do a growth on baby and if he's greater than 9lb. we are going to schedule a c-section and if he's less than 9lb. we will probably test for lung maturity and induce you. In the mean time Eli has had 3 failed NSTs. My OB, who is different from my high risk Dr. told me last week at my 36 week check up, have your bags packed because one more failed NST and being 36 weeks means MFM is just going to say head to the hospital we're having this baby. I told him about testing the lungs at 37 weeks because of possibly inducing or scheduling a c section and he said, "Oh no, they won't bother with an amnio anymore, they will check his growth and send you to Labor hall I'm sure." (At that point I was measuring 41-42 weeks and dialated 3 cm, so we were hoping I'd just go on my own over the weekend anyway.) 

So Monday comes about and my normal nurse was not there. He technically failed his NST, but she kept me on the monitors until he passed. (My regular nurse keeps me on 20 minutes and if he doesn't pass within 20 minutes he's non-reactive.) This nurse looked at my strip after 20 minutes and says, "Baby must be sleeping let's do another 20." So we did finally get an accelleration, but she wanted/needed to see 2. So she starts buzzing him and shaking him and still nothing. She says, "One more and I'll let you off. I'll only keep you another 20 mins though." My regular nurse would have said "non-reactive". Not to mention I told her his movements have decreased quite a bit. 

Another example of how everyone is on a different page...there are 4 high risk doctors. Two of them seem to deal with me, one a man, one a woman. Kim continues to try to have me put on insulin shots and Dr. Smith just keeps uping my glyburide. I always went with Dr. Smith's recommendation because I didn't want to do insulin shots. However, again it's like everyone has their own idea of how to manage my care. No one is on the same page. 

So I'm 37 weeks today, I see my OB and the high risk doctor. I'm worried about the non reactive NSTs, I'm now on insulin shots because we maxed out the glyburide, I'm concerned about having a possible c-section and I'm frustrated that the OB acts like it's time to deliver, but the high risk Dr. hasn't made any birthing plans/suggestions since a few months ago, and my growth u/s isn't until Monday which puts me IMO closer to 38 weeks. I just wish we could all be on the same page at least some of the time! 

Thanks for letting me vent :smileyhappy: I'll update in the appt section later after I see both doctors...If my water would just break I could avoid all this non sense!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 11:06am
Bless your heart! That's a TON of stress. I would, in no uncertain terms, voice my concerns about everyone being on a different page to the doc you see today. It's time to get bold and just tell the doc that you're sick of hearing 18 different things and you're worried about your baby. KUP on how it goes. You should not be getting the run around like this!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 8:23am

I'm sorry you are so frustrated - but you have every right to be!  However, I have to agree w/ the PPs, you need to get in there and speak for yourself - you shouldn't be having worries or concerns - they should be helping you - not all just passing you around and getting you to technically "pass" the NST.  Do you have to have the high risk docs blessing to be admitted?  B/c if not - I'd go straight to the regular OB and get their opinion and get a move on.  Seems at this point - the baby should be ready to come out safely - so unless they can give you a reason otherwise - sounds like that may be the best/safest way to go.  GL & keep us posted!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 9:39pm

Thanks ladies,

I kept my cool Thursday because they said we'll make delivery plans Monday. I will blow my top Monday for sure if I don't like what they have to say.