Postpartum breast health?

iVillage Member
Postpartum breast health?
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 2:51pm

Just wanted to see if any of you are noticing any changes in your breasts since having baby. I found a lump just over a month ago and like a dork, forgot to mention it to the doc when I got the Mirena installed. Well, today was my Mirena checkup, and I had her check my left breast, and since my right breast is normal, I'm having a mammogram tomorrow and ultrasound if the mammogram shows anything suspicious. She's ruling out caffeine since it's just this one lump on the one breast, and she doesn't seem to think it's hormonal, again, since it's just the one...

So, just wanted to see if any of you noticed any changes post baby.

Pretty lucky that I got an appointment so quick, so I'm glad for that. I'm in the process of trying to track down my mammogram from 2004, so hopefully I'll get a hold of that and doc will have something to compare this one to.

Sidebar: I picked Zo up out of her bouncy a bit ago and she was soaked, figured it was pee, right? Nope. Runny poo, all over her and her outfit. So, impromptu bath and she did very well - that's two baths without screaming! She likes very cool water, I've discovered. It's barely lukewarm, but that's her preference. I figure the other baths were just too warm for baby girl. At least we know the secret! Smile

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 10:55am

See, that's what I say. It's crazy that we'd deny them if they're hungry. It's not like I have a bottle in Zo's mouth 24/7. Now, I do think she LOVES her formula, but, when nothing else works and she's crying, she gets her bottle. And for you it would be worse -- cut him off AND not have mommy there to soothe when he's fussy (because he's starving!) -- just crazy. I know the ped is going to tell me again to cut out a feeding, and I'm just going to tell her thanks but no thanks. My baby, my rules.

Josh looks SO similar to Zo. I think his thighs aren't quite as big as Zo's, neither are his arms quite as chubby. It's like she's trying to get a fat roll just above her wrist about an inch or so. She's just a fat baby, no getting around it!

He's a doll-baby. I'm glad he's a chunky monkey, too. Makes me feel better that Zo isn't freakishly huge! Wink

Is he in size 3 dipes? Zo is, and as soon as this pack is finished, she'll be in 4s. Work sent me a boat-load of dipes from one of our studies (I think I counted 450 of them), so we're just going to use them since the 3s are getting too close to snug. The only downside is that these are several different brands, so some are better than others. I figure I'll grab the codes to tell which are which and use the lesser-awesome ones for day, and the great ones for night. I do love my job. Smile

Brie
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 10:19am

Here's that picture I promised of Josh....

Photobucket

So what do you think? How does he stack up to Zoe?

At the two month appointment, my ped told me to cut back on the ounces I was giving Josh in his bottles for daycare and to nurse less often. I'm like come on.. I'm not putting my 2 month old on a diet. Really??

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 7:13am

LOL -- she's a chunk, and her thighs are HUGEMONGOUS! I definitely think she's taking after me in that department. I come from generations of big butts and big thighs, and like any good mom (LOL) I pass them down to my girls. The boys are rails, though Will was SO chunky at this age, too. Almost 2 weeks ago she weighed 18lbs 1 oz. She's on target for Will's weight at 4m, which was 20lbs. She'll probably surpass him.

I try not to worry. She eats SO MUCH. She did her usual 4 hour stint last night, but I must've given her at least 3 bottles during the night (we were doing 2, so maybe she's growing) -- and the big ones. Small ones I think are becoming a thing of the past. 6-7 ounces isn't cutting it. I make 40 ounces at a time and don't put quite the usual amount of formula in the container -- usually 18 scoops instead of 20, but I don't think it's helping. She's just getting bigger and bigger. But we're doing more tummy and back time, and trying to get her into her exersaucer/bouncy thing at least once a day.

We did find a new floor seat, this one made by Mamas & Papas. The inner seat is bigger (tried it on at the store -- found an open box), and then it comes out for when she's bigger. Supposedly works for 12+ months. In Zoë time that may only be 6m. Wink A bit more expensive than the bumbo, but it comes with a tray, so it's a wash really.

Her next appt is 12/3, and will be interesting to see how big she is then. I know her ped will really want me to cut out a night feeding by then, but, I'm just not into it. Once she's more active and crawling and on solids more, she'll thin out a bit. In the meantime, it's just a challenge to find clothes that fit. Almost everything she's wearing is 12m. Sleeves and pants are a bit too long, but they don't squeeze her, and that's all I care about. Smile

Brie
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 9:41pm

Zoe is definately well-fed!! What a cutie! Josh just barely fits in his Bumbo. He doesn't seem to like it much. I think he doesn't like having to hold his head up for an extended period of time. (So lazy!)

By looking at that picture, I think Zoe is a little chunkier than Josh (no offense, Zoe :) Here thighs look a little bigger than Josh's. Don't ever tell her that... I don't want it to cause any angst when she's a teen. haha! I will need to take a diaper pic of Josh and share it here when I get a chance. I'll try to when I get him dressed tomorrow morning. 

If I had to guess... I think Josh is probably at about 16 lbs now (how much does Zoe weigh?). His 4 month appointment is December 4th, so I'll have the official stats then!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-10-2012 - 2:40pm

Thanks, Megan. I'm sure it's nothing, but glad we'll figure that out sooner rather than later. I've got enough to worry about/deal with without having a boob thing hanging over us.

I do think we've reached a turning point with the baths. I'm going to do it more frequently, do it more slowly so she can relax and enjoy it, and with the luke-warm water. She truly is the sweetest little baby ever, but she's just SO high maintenance. LOL.

Here's a pic of little girl enjoying her carrots. Introduced them yesterday, and she LOVED them like crazy. She's such a fat little baby! I was so disappointed -- picked up a bumbo seat today and she's already too big for it, so it's gotta go back. But, we got her a rocker that fits until 40lbs, and she's loving that. The bouncy seat was just not able to handle her weight anymore. Big girl is just so big!

Question -- how big is Josh do you think? I know they've been running similar, so just curious.

Brie
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-10-2012 - 8:52am

Just now logging in and saw this! I hope the continued testing determines that it's nothing. I haven't really noticed any unusual post-baby boobage going on... just the usual craziness that comes with nursing boobs. lol

And poor Zoe and her runny poo! I've had two really bad poo incidents with Josh lately. He gets it all over his back and then I have to try to get off his onesie which smears it around even more. He also tends to do this right as we're trying to go out the door and get somewhere important like work :(

On the bath note, I'm shocked Zoe is not a bath lover. I swear... Josh is in heaven at bath time. He kicks around... observes himself in the mirror and is just pleased to be relaxing in warm bath water. We call it Baby Spa Time. lol

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-09-2012 - 7:35am

We make enough formula to last us about 24 hours (usually not quite that long because she always eats more than I think she wil), so we definitely have to refrigerate. She eats so often that I just don't have it in me to prep a bottle every time she's hungry. Apart from when we were in the hospital and the bottles were room temp, she's always had an ice-cold bottle. Was the same way with Jake, but Lib and Will had warmed-up bottles.

And thanks - the mammogram was fine - but radiologist thinks the ultrasound is a bit iffy. They did my whole breast for that as well to check the other tissue, and the mass is unlike anything else (I have very fibrous tissue). So, while she's not worried, she does want me to either have an MRI or a needle biopsy. I'm afraid insurance will probably deny the MRI, so it'll probably be the needle. For now we wait to see what's what and will proceed accordingly once we hear back from the insurance. I'm sure it's nothing, but I just want confirmation. Smile

Brie
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 8:48am

I've tried that with Sean, and so far his bottles have to at least be room temp. Of course, I don't have to make them up ahead of time like I did with Quinn (for his acid reflux, less bubbles, less urping up). So they aren't as cold when he gets them.

I hope your mammogram goes easy today and comes back clean Smile

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 6:17pm

I'm so glad we figured it out. It seems like Libby prefered super warm water, but I don't recall what the boys preferred. Life is much easier with the knowing!

LOL about baby bottle temp -- you know, I don't warm up bottles? I figured with Jake that it was easier to keep things cool than to warm them up, so both he (back then) and now Zo get refrigerator-cold bottles. Truly makes it easier when on-the-go, too. Pop in some freezer packs and we're all set. Smile

Brie
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 5:01pm

I'd been wondering how she was doing with baths. Seems she's the opposite of my boys, they enjoys almost too warm baths as babies. Quinn is getting where he prefers cooler (more actually "baby bath/bottle temp") bath water. The other thing that helps my boys like the bath longer is to warm up the tub before the actually bath. I use pure hot water and fill the big tube an inch or so (I just fill up Sean's little tub) and let it sit for a bit. It warms up the porcelan (sp?) or plastic and allows the water to stay warmer longer.

Photobucket