Question about announcing the news

iVillage Member
Question about announcing the news
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 1:09pm

Hey Ladies! So I have a quick question for you. I had my 12 week appt this last week and now personally feel comfortable telling the people at my job. I teach 5th grade and live in a small town. We've told a few people .... but it's really starting to get around town so I feel like I better make the announcement at my job before they all hear before I tell them. Also... I want to just tell my students at the same time. Initially I wanted to wait to tell them until I couldn't possibly hide it any longer...but I'm second guessing that because once the other teachers know I feel like the kids will find out anyway....so I guess my question for you is - do you think 12 weeks is too early to tell 5th graders? What would you do?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 1:58pm
When my 6th grade teacher (6th was still in grade school, not middle where I went) told us she said that she had a little announcement to make now, but in 9 months it would be a big announcement and asked us to guess. Of course nearly every hand in the classroom went SHOOTING into the air :) FB, I don't know, I just put it up there that my DS is gonna be a big brother.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 5:14pm

I think 5th graders are old enough to understand pregnancy. I would tell them. I teach high school and am starting my 17th week. I'm showing and know it. My kids have to know (I think), yet they have not asked me. I teach parenting and I was really hoping to get past the labor and delivery unit before they officially know... it just seems so awkward to show THE video when they know I'm expecting. Anywho, I thing it's a good idea to announce. When I announced it on FB, I was lucky enough to have an ultrasound pic. I just posted that with a phrase that said... guess what?

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:13am

I don't know about your school district, but I remember that 5th grade is when we were taught human reproduction. (Just the technical stuff, penis/vagina/sperm/egg, etc)

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!