Sean's back in the hospital

iVillage Member
Sean's back in the hospital
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 3:23pm

So Thursday morning he was running a fever at about 5am. I called his pedi when they opened at 8am to see if he wanted to see him. Figured he would, but wasn't sure, I've never had a baby this little get a fever. So we go in at 10:30 to see the doc. He checks him out, he has a possible ear infection in his left ear. But since his fever was 100.3 at 5am, 101.4 at 8:30 and 99.3 in the office, he tells me that we need to be aggressive in treating it which means admission to the hospital and a bunch of tests, unlading a spinal tap to check for meningitis. All of the tests have come back negative so far, including the flu and RSV ones. We still have 24 hours left on some of the cultures. I'm kinda torn right now, with Quinn at home missing me but a sick baby in the hospital. Thankfully I do get to stay in here with him, even though I haven't been admitted.

Other than the fever and being all stopped up, he doesn't have any other symptoms of anything. He's still drinking really well, his usual 2-3oz every 2-3hrs, even took 4oz earlier this morning. He's hooked up to all kinds of monitors for his heart rate, breathing, oxygen saturation, and oxygen because the saturation isn't staying above 90% w/o it. Its a giant wait and see game with just supporting him to help him fight whatever he's got off.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2012 - 1:22pm
His fever BROKE last night and has stayed away. We are now just hoping we can get him weaned off the oxygen, but that may still take a couple days. They took another chest x-ray and it is looking worse than the one they took at admission, but its looking to be viral rather than bacterial. All the bad stuff is all spread out throughout his lungs, not clumped in one or two small areas. But since he still has a double ear infection, he'll still be on anti-biotics, probably even after we go home.

I'm feeling much better now that his fever is gone. If we are still here on Monday when school starts my mom and I will likely just switch off who is with him just like we were planning to anyways. Our schedules just work out to let us do that, except for Thursdays, he might be alone for a bit if he's still here. *fingers crossed that he won't be* And I'm not so bored/lonely since my mom brought me her laptop :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2012 - 12:26pm

Sending lots of healing energy!! I hope he comes home soon!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 10:59pm

Thinking and praying for Sean!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 8:24pm
His pedi is hoping that we will be able to go home over the weekend, if we can get his fever down and get him weaned off the oxygen. I would really like that, since school starts on Monday. Although my mom is prolly right that getting away from the hospital for short periods of time will be good for me if we are still here.
Photobucket