Shots and fussiness

iVillage Member
Shots and fussiness
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 3:27pm

How have your LOs reacted to their first shots? I've noticed that since Friday (Alby's appointment) he's been overly fussy and needy and will only take short cat naps during the day (20-45 mins at a time). Is this a typical reaction for babies, for maybe a week or so after the shots? Did anyone else notice a change of behaviour, and did it eventually return to normal?

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 5:15pm

You know, she wasn't typical -- didn't sleep for a long time after like a lot of babies do. She was fussy during, of course, then napped for a bit, then was her usual self and other than being a little sore if you man-handled her, she was fine. But, they're all different. This could just be his normal. Or, he could bounce back after the next round. Hard to say. Poor little bug! Shots just have to be one of the worst things ever for baby.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 5:58pm

Sean literally slept all day, like had to wake him up to eat slept all day. And Quinn doesn't ever show any kind of reactions to any shot as soon as we leave the exam room. It's most likely his normal reaction to shots though. I'd just mention it to his pedi at his next appointment, to be on the safe side. I'm going to mention Sean's sleeping all day thing, myself.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-25-2012 - 4:15pm

Josh was pretty normal following his first round of shots at 2 months. He screamed when the shots were given, but then calmed down and fell asleep for the car ride home. The rest of day was business as usual. 

My sister was just telling me that her 15 month old has been off for the past few days following her vaccinations. So I'm sure that it's possible for the vaccinations to cause a kid to be "off" for a few days.

We go for Josh's four month check and vaccinations the first week of December, so we'll see how he does.

Photobucket