So this is a little wierd...

iVillage Member
So this is a little wierd...
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 3:48pm

My toddler daughter who just turned three last month keeps telling me that she has a baby in her tummy. I always talk to her about how she is too small and that she has to be big to have a baby. This morning, she began this conversation again, only this time, she was so animated. I asked her if she wanted to have a baby in her tummy, which of course, she told me yes. Then, she told me that she was going to take really good care of it and made her arms in a baby rocking motion. This is all a little strange as none of my other daughters have said this. Naturally, we had to have our 'you have to be big' talk.... again.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-25-2012 - 11:51am
I think it's get way of relating to what's happening. So sweet!

We got some breast-feeding kids here too. :) dolls are well fed up in here!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-25-2012 - 11:43am
My Mom told me that my older brother used to sit down next to her when she was breast feeding me, lift up his shirt and pretend to breast feed his teddy bear. He was about 2 years old. She thought it was adorable.

It should also be noted that he grew up to be a perfectly normal and healthy adult man!

I wouldn't worry about correcting your daughter, just let her play pretend.
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 10:49pm
Wait until she starts breast feeding her dolls! LOL, that will really throw you through a loop. ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:26am

My 3yo does it as well.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:22am

Both my girls do this and I think it is sweet!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 12:42pm

My little girl is 3 as well and she has done the same thing. She has even told her grandparents there is a baby in her belly. Then when asked where the baby really is she will say it is in mommy's tummy. I think it's just natural at their age to say things like that. I'm sure it's hard for them to comprehend how a baby got in there and what that really means. She's moved on here in the last couple weeks to asking when the doctor is going to take it out.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 8:21am

I think it's totally natural. Libby was a bit like that too when we found out we were pregnant with Will, she was just 3 1/2 at the time. She's still little and maybe won't grasp the "you're-too-little" thing completely, so I don't know that having serious talks about it is going to help overly much. But, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. She just wants to be like you and you're pregnant. I think it's very normal. You can always bring it up to the ped if you think it is something that really needs to be addressed.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 12:01am
I think it's pretty natural for girls around that age to say things like that. They want to be just like mommy. While my daughter hasn't done exactly that, she does keep informing us that it is HER baby, and that she will take care of it. We tell her that she can help more when she gets bigger and she informs us she is already bigger. I wouldn't be too worried about it just seems to be a way for her to feel like she's a big girl like mommy.
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 10:24pm

I think its so cute!

Both my 5 year old and my 2 year old daughters did this before finding out I was expecting! I would hear them talking about having a baby in their tummies. They would even go as far as to take their baby dolls and put them under their shirs!

I never get an alone moment at my house so my girls are often in the bathroom when I'm in there. I had my shirt pulled up and my stomach was showing and I was very bloated! My 5 year old said, "ooooo, look Addy, mommy has a big belly. I think mommy has a baby in her belly." We hadn't even told the girls at that point that we were indeed having another baby. It was all too weird and we told them two days later!