Some Zoë observations...3 days old

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Some Zoë observations...3 days old
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 5:47pm

You may or may not recall how active Zoë was all the time prior to her birth -- seriously, the kid caused me pain with all her punches and kicks and head butts. Well, I want to tell you, this baby is strong! She's got AMAZING head control already. She's always craning her neck and looking around when we burp her. More than once she's head-butted me, causing both of us a bit of distress! I have to put my hand on her head now so she doesn't concuss both of us. When she lays on her belly on her daddy, she lifts her head up, too. It's crazy. She's so little to be doing this. Jake was the same way, though, I guess, and he was tinier and earlier than her. That little bugger rolled over the first time when he was 9 days old.

She also is a pooping champion. Had her first BM the evening of the day she was born, and then 6 more by the time we had her checkup yesterday morning (so, at 2 days old, 7 BMs). All of those 7 were the black tar kind, and then when we got home after the ped checkup yesterday, she finally had the normal brown seedy kind. And she poops probably every other diaper. Funny how pleasing those first BMs are. LOL!

Eating like a boss! Every 2-3 hours, 2 ounces usually, though we're pushing 3 now. I'm really glad, because at her checkup yesterday she was down from 8 lbs 3 oz to 7 lbs 5 oz. Which is more than 10% so I don't know why the doc is ok with this. ??? But, she'll hopefully pack it back on with the way she goes to town on the bottle. Her next checkup is 8/13.

She's got a touch of jaundice, but ped thinks it's from the bruising from her rapid birth. So, we're doing light therapy here at home. 20-30 minutes in front of a sunny window every day until we see the ped again. She handles it pretty well considering she's naked but for her diaper and is blinded by the sunlight.

She has a bit of hemorrhage in both of the whites of her eyes, also from her rapid birth. Should go away in a few weeks. Can only see these when she looks far to the left or right. Poor little bear just has been through the wringer.

Freaked out when we did her little blood draw yesterday for the bilirubin check. She cried and cried, and then it was like someone flipped a switch and BOOM - she was asleep. If I hadn't seen her little pulse in her neck, I think I would have screamed. Just scared me to death. Tech said that it happens to all the little babies with the blood draws. They just cry so much that they practically pass out. Definitely the hardest part of being a mom, watching the babies when they're in pain. :smileysad: But, the good news is her level is just ever-so-slightly higher than normal, so with the BMs and eating and light therapy, she'll probably be just fine by her next checkup.

She hates being dressed or undressed. Maybe that's a normal baby thing, but she gets highly pissed when I do either. I cannot win, LOL. I want to give her a little sponge bath today but you know that's not going to go well. It involves undressing AND getting dressed again!!

Cannot even express just how much we're in love with her. She's just the sweetest little bear. Cannot believe I did this again, and that I still had a space in my heart to absolutely love another human being like this. It's so amazing.

Here's her little almost naked self from this morning's light therapy session. :smileyhappy:

ZoeLightTherapy.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 8:55pm
She's beautiful, you're a great mama!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 8:15am

Sounds like overall - she (and you!) are doing great!  What a beautiful & peaceful picture!  If the doc isn't worried and she is eating and pooping good and all - I wouldn't fuss over her weight!  She looks perfect to me :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:33am
What a great update! Now my update in the mommies and babies thread seems highly lacking of details. I'll go fill it in. Brie, you're doing so great with your little mama. Love your recaps. And she is such a Bear, a lovely, beautiful bear. So so so cute.
Photobucket