Teething ALREADY??

iVillage Member
Teething ALREADY??
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 12:17am

Hi Ladies!

I think Alby has started teething ALREADY!! For the last few weeks he's been munching on his fists, his bibs, his blankie, and his soother, but tonight - WOO WEE freak out! He started biting his fists so bad I thought he was choking on them!! Wailing and chewing and nearly gagging I thought he was going to pass out!!! (Or that I was going to pass out!!) So scared, I called my mum, then tried to give him some cold teething rings. Those didn't help, they're too big for his mouth and seem to be too hard, and he hasn't quite mastered moving things precicely around his mouth (he can grab and hold his soother, pull it out of his mouth, but can't get it back in). Eventually I found what worked was my knuckle, and walking around with him. If I sat down, he'd freak out again. He cried himself to sleep twice, but woke up only about 15 mins later and freaked out again. Now (knock on wood!!!) he's been sleeping for about 30 mins. I think he just exhausted himself. Poor guy!!! I have never heard him cry like that EVER, I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance! Should I be worried it's some other kind of pain (because I am...) or does this just sound like his first taste of teeth coming in?

Can I give him Tylenol when the pain is that bad?? It was aweful! But it would come in these huge waves :( Poor guy!!!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 10:18pm

Nate and now Josh both became obsessed with their hands at this age. I thought they were teething.. but no teeth actually popped until about 8 months. I think they just discover their hands - so they are constantly in their mouth at this age. Soon it will be their feet... they should be discovered any day now! ha!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 11:27am
My oldest got 2 teeth somewhere between 3-4 months. Sean's been chewing on everything he can for quite a while now, prolly at least a month. Not all of it is teething chewing, though. I remember reading somewhere with Quinn that a baby's sense of taste is their most developed and that is one reason why they chew on everything. That could very well be wrong though. I have given Sean a half dose of Tyenol when nothing else seems to be working to calm him down, he's heavy enough he gets 2.5mls as a full dose. But that's been maybe once or twice. So it is possible that he's teething already and you will hopefully get lucky and they break threw quick so you don't have a long drawn out battle with them. Of course, Sean has a double ear infection and spent most of yesterday fussy and refusing to sleep or eat until I gave him some Tylenol, so my view on screaming babies in pain is a little skewed toward that right now. And given my battle with Quinn last year of 5 months of fluid or ear infections, now Sean and the fact that neither boy shows "classic" ear infection symptoms. I'm going to talk to their pedi about getting my own otoscope (that thing they look in the ears with) on the 5th, when Quinn goes back in to check on the fluid we found at the end of Oct at his 3yr check.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 7:48am
We're going through the same thing, and have been for about a month now. Zo is a drool monster -- and yes, anything she gets goes straight towards (if not in) her mouth. We finally got her Tulli Sophie -- it's THE teething toy apparently. It's uber-soft, and baby can either hold her by her neck or her legs. Zo likes this toy much better than any of her other teethers. But, she does get frustrated with it. But she's like that with anything she can hold. At some point she just gets mad at it. LOL. I personally don't do Tylenol -- I just feel like I'd be giving it to her all the time and I don't want to get into that habit. And teething just goes on forever. I also read that the numbing stuff isn't good for them when they're this little, so we won't be doing that. I would talk to the ped though, if you're worried. Maybe s/he will have some good ideas. The bummer is that baby doesn't usually get teeth until 6m or thereabouts. I checked the baby books for my other 3, and that was when they each got their first. So, we're definitely in for a long haul! Hope it eases up for Alby. Keep us posted!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8