Thanksgiving Roll Call!!

iVillage Member
Thanksgiving Roll Call!!
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 9:59pm

Let's get a role call started... get some action happening on this board!

Name/IVillage Handle:

August Baby's Name:

What State/Country do you live in?

(If you're from Canada, answer these questions in regards to your Canadian Thanksgiving.)

How does Thanksgiving rate for you amongst the holidays?

Where will you be celebrating Thanksgiving this year and with who?

Do you do the cooking or does someone else?

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish? 

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert?

Besides eating, does your family have any other Thanksgiving traditions?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 9:12am

Happy Black Friday! Anyone shopping today?

We even have some Black Friday sales up here, ha ha! If I have time today I'll do some x-mas shopping online, I won't have time to get to a mall today!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 12:07pm

Name/IVillage Handle: Sara-Rachael (usually just Sara)/ Keeyamah

August Baby's Name: Sean

What State/Country do you live in? Idaho

(If you're from Canada, answer these questions in regards to your Canadian Thanksgiving.)

How does Thanksgiving rate for you amongst the holidays? #1 honestly, I really feel that Christmas is often far to much about the gifts and less about being with your family. Turkey day is almost exclusively about being with family and being thankful.

Where will you be celebrating Thanksgiving this year and with who? Not sure yet, lol. Its almost always with DH's family. Last year we went to Colorado, year before that we went on a cruise with the same side of his family. I'm hoping we stay local this year, even if that means at least 2 if not 3 different meals. The joys of having divorced and re-married in-laws. :P

Do you do the cooking or does someone else? Depends on which side of the family we see, but I at least try to help or bring a side dish.

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Ohhhh, top runners are cranberry sauce and stuffing (the way my dad made it, not after it comes out of a bird, that style is too runny).

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Pumpkin pie with lots o' whipped cream :)

Besides eating, does your family have any other Thanksgiving traditions? Ummm, not really, lol.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 5:08pm

Name/IVillage Handle: Megan/Bessie_bee

August Baby's Name: Alban (technically a Sept baby :P)

What State/Country do you live in? Ontario, Canada

(If you're from Canada, answer these questions in regards to your Canadian Thanksgiving.) <--- Thanks Megan! :) Our Thanksgiving was in Oct! I like that it's a little earlier in the year because it's not so close to Christmas, but it's also a Turkey-tease! I have to wait longer between Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas turkey!!

How does Thanksgiving rate for you amongst the holidays? Second fave, Christmas is first!

Where will you be celebrating Thanksgiving this year and with who? We celebrated at my parents house with my sister and her fiance. Hubby's family are really spread out this year (his sister is a 2-day drive north of us and his mom is in Michigan, 6 hours away, and his Aunts and Uncles either travel or hunt over Thanksgiving weekend). We used to have 2 days of visiting all our family members, but now it's usually just 1. Hopefully next year will be different when his sister is back closer to home! Alby has 2 cousins he has yet to meet!

Do you do the cooking or does someone else? My mum cooks! My sister and I help where we're allowed (apparently I make the mashed potatoes "too creamy" when I do them, so I'm banned from mashing! ha ha)

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Turkey+stuffing+gravy, gravy and more gravy all together!

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? I'm not a big fan of pie which we always have, but I like pumpkin pie if there's lots of whipped cream on it! I love my mum's pumpkin loaf with chocolate chips in it, hold the nuts!

Besides eating, does your family have any other Thanksgiving traditions? Just getting together is the tradition for us!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 7:29am

Name/IVillage Handle: Brie/brie_k

August Baby's Name: Zoë

What State/Country do you live in? Texas

How does Thanksgiving rate for you amongst the holidays? Maybe #3, behind Christmas & Halloween

Where will you be celebrating Thanksgiving this year and with who? At home with hubby and the kids

Do you do the cooking or does someone else? I cook all the things. Libby will help.

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Not a T'giving dish per se, but Baked Celery. My Gram's recipe, and I usually only make it this time of year.

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Better than Robert Redford Cake. It's not even a cake. I don't think it's better than Robert Redford, either. But it is yummy!

Besides eating, does your family have any other Thanksgiving traditions? Up until 2010, we often did T'giving in Indiana, only missed a couple from 1991 to 2009 (due to living in NC and then when hubs and I were separated). Hub's aunt bought a big house, a landmark actually, for all of the family to get together in -- she bought it just after we got together. His father's side is huge (7 siblings), and we needed a big gathering place. Sometimes we'd stay the night, others we would just drive down. She'd handle the turkeys and mashed potatoes/gravy, but everyone else had to bring something. Needless to say, there was food for days. Sadly, Aunt Suzanne's last T'giving was 2009 (she died from cancer the following year) and while Uncle Jack still has Mimi's House, everyone now gets together at a resort in French Lick. We've never been to that gathering. It's too much logistically and time-off wise to get there now. Was really the best tradition though, while it lasted. A nice opportunity to see the family. It's sad that Jake got so little of it, and that Zo will never know it, not as a little thing. Maybe one day we'll be able to go to French Lick and see everyone. But it won't be the same without Aunt Suzanne. Cry

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 10:04pm

Name/IVillage Handle: Megan/StPattysGrl

August Baby's Name: Josh

What State/Country do you live in? Iowa

How does Thanksgiving rate for you amongst the holidays? I'd say it's a solid #2.... behind Christmas.

Where will you be celebrating Thanksgiving this year and with who? My sister, brother-in-law and their two little girls will be coming to Iowa from Texas to stay with us for the week.

Do you do the cooking or does someone else? Now that we're in our own house and never travel - I typically do the cooking. This is the second year that my sister and her family come to our house for Thanksgiving and Steph and I usually do the cooking together. Speaking of... we need to figure out our menu!

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Agh. Tough question. I love the deviled eggs... and stuffing... and mashed potatoes :)

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Definately pumpkin pie!

Besides eating, does your family have any other Thanksgiving traditions? As a kid we would often go bowling on Thanksgiving night... to burn off some other calories.  Either that... or go and see a movie!

Photobucket