Those that have cats

iVillage Member
Those that have cats
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 12:14pm

I know not all cats are alike, but for those of you that have cats...how did you handle them with being in the baby's room, or "discovering" the new baby?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 3:20pm

I have the same worry with my cat Sam. He's also very curious. I plan on locking him up in a room just to be safe. I've actually already started so he can get adjusted to it now before the baby comes in a few months and he's actually done way better then expected. This way he doesn't feel like we kicked him out for the baby. Even though that's what we are doing ;)

I would prefer that other then the constant worry.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2012 - 7:08pm

We had a cat when our first was born. I was a little worried about the cat... but it ended up being no big deal. The cat sniffed around the baby the first day and then after that... had NO INTEREST. In fact, I think the cat was quite annoyed by the crying and chose to stay far away. He would sleep with me every night and honestly, I can't remember if he kept sleeping with us or not during those first few months (Nate was in a basssinet right next to our bed). I never had a problem with the cat getting in the bassinet or crib... ever. He wanted to stay far far away. And we're talking a people friendly curious cat here. I really wouldn't put too much thought into it. If anything, the cat might get pissed... and start pissing in random places in the house to show his annoyance.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 9:56pm
You know I have never thought of this. We have two cats and an 8 month old son. Our cats are under a year old but exact age is unknown. They do great with him. They don't get in his bed and really only go in his room at all to sunbath in the day but mostly stick to our bed and the rest of the house. One of our cats, Pumba, will even give our son high fives =p maybe try setting up the bassinet a few nights with a baby doll in it to see how he reacts to it? And if you can at times hide a phone or mp3 player playing the sound of a baby crying and making various noises under the doll to see how he reacts to the noise?
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 3:14pm
When I was pregnant with the boys, I worried about the same thing with our cat. I nearly had a heart attack when I would go in the nursery and find him sleeping in one of the cribs. But in our case it turned out to be for nothing. Once the babies arrived he couldn't have cared less about them or the cribs.

We did have them in a crib in our room for the first 8 weeks or so, makes getting up in the middle of the night much easier, and I kept that crib in our room until we moved when they were about 6 months old. It was nice to have the choice to have them in our room if one wasn't feeling well, but also very nice to have them in their own room most of the time. We found that we all slept much better with them in the other room.

As far as the cat, don't stress to much. He might be a little curious at first but at least with ours once the babies arrived, he was too busy being a cat to care.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 12:50pm
With Quinn, I had a 2yr old cat, 1 yr old cat, and kittens that were like 4-5 months old. I was lucky in that when I got stuff set up, like the bassinet and crib (yeah we had both, but borrowed the bassinet so no $$ spent, yay!) they did a lot of exploring then, so the stuff, playpen & etc. weren't "new" and curiosity inspiring. I think that helped with the things once he was here, that and they were all a little scared of him to start with. I honestly just learned to be aware of where the cats were in relation to where I had him. There have been a couple of times, even before he was a year old, where a cat (one in particular) took a nap with him, no trouble cause the cat (kitten really) slept at the foot of the crib. I've got some cute pictures of him playing in his pack 'n play with a kitty at the other end. So it will be an adjustment period for everyone, but my thing is don't freak out. just be aware.
Photobucket