Thrush, nystatin, and ibuprofen, oh my!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Thrush, nystatin, and ibuprofen, oh my!
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 7:35am

We've been so lucky with Zo, she's such a sweet little bear, hardly wimpers unless she's hungry (ok, she's hungry A LOT, so yeah, there is a bit of fussing here and there if we don't snap to it).

But thrush is turning my overall peaceful babe into a fusspot. Her mouth doesn't look too bad, but her poor little butt. She went from ok butt to angry butt in a day, I swear. It looks horrible. :smileysad: And, as much as her mouth doesn't look too bad, I do think it's bothering her. She's fussing when taking a bottle, then fussing when she pees or poops, and wimpering in between. I feel so bad for her.

Nystatin has to be given orally 4x a day, which is not fun stuff. I use a q-tip to apply it to the inside of her cheeks, and it takes a while to get 1ml of that stuff in her. Same with the nystatin butt stuff, 4x a day,  but much more manageable. My app (Baby Connect) helps me keep track of meds, too, so that's a lifesaver.

I thought I'd give her just a little bit of ibuprofen to help with the pain, right? WRONG. I gave her not even a smidge of it, and she went BALLISTIC. No, like I had fed her battery acid -- it was just the worst thing. Her scream almost pulled me out of my skin -- worse than her little heel prick scream if you can believe that. And then she wouldn't breathe right for a minute, and I seriously almost lost it. I never hand the kids to hubby when they're upset, but I came really close this time. Finally I got her to take some milk to get the taste out of her mouth, but good grief. I hope she's better at meds when it's time for shots. I don't know what I'll do if this is a thing with her for any length of time.

So poor little bug just has to be in pain until this awful thrush clears up. Ugh. 2 weeks of this because it's so hard to get rid of. I may go stark raving mad.

I don't know how I've done this baby thing 3 times before. It seriously has some heart-breaking moments, and then some just scary moments. Maybe the key is the no-sleep thing. I'm such a zombie right now and I'm sure I was with the first three during these early weeks, that I forgot all the hard stuff. /silver lining?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 9:43am
It doesn't matter how many times you've done the baby thing, hearing them cry in pain never gets any easier :-( Poor little thing, I know thrush can be such a pain. Leah and I both had it when I was nursing her. I wish I had some advice, just love her and hug her and hang in there, it won't last forever. I know that's easier for me to say not having to deal with it. Poor little thing and poor mama!
Photobucket