What Are You Wearing Now?

iVillage Member
What Are You Wearing Now?
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 8:59am

Are you still able to wear your pre-pregnancy clothing or are you already in maternity wear?

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 10:23am

I am wearing my regular pants with a belly belt (the smallest one) . A stretchy tank and a shrug (I know- silly and exposes my belly pretty bad, but I couldn't find my longer sweater this morning). Ugh.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 11:06am

I'm still in my regular clothes. A few of my jeans I have to use a rubberband to hold together at the button, but I've got a nice pair of low-rise jeans that I could feasibly wear for a good many more months since they sit below my belly.

I'm not happy with the maternity clothes I've seen so far. I really don't like Motherhood at all, but then ours is at the outlet mall, so maybe they don't have the best selection. We're going to head to the Galleria soon where the Gap store carries maternity wear, so maybe will have better luck there.

It's a huge blessing that I work from home, so I won't have to spend a mint on new clothes. I'm wearing sweats and a long tee right now. Pretty much always casual Friday around here. LOL.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 11:11am

brie good for you! Although as far as I'm concerned I believe that having to wear work clothes makes me watch what I eat more. I know from first pregnancy, or rather maternity leave, that it wasn't until I had to stuff my butt into something other than sweatpants that I noticed how bad the damage was and had to start working out and dieting.

I am attempting to wear my normal pants (with belly belts) as long as possible so I can monitor how quickly my legs and butt are expanding (maternity pants usually are baggier in the legs, so I felt skinnier than I actually was.

I put on 70 lbs with the first one (I was 115lbs when I got pregnant).

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 11:27am

Oh believe me, my butt and hips have gotten wider since working from home. I don't snack overly much, but I work at my computer all day. No stairs anymore, no parking a good ways away from the office like I used to. So yeah, there's that. Libby and I had just really started bowflexing a lot when I found out I was pregnant, and I've not had the energy to keep it up. I've never been so exhausted in my entire life. It's unreal.

But, I eat really healthy for the most part. My mid-morning and mid-day snacks lately are very often veggies, yogurt, or oatmeal.

Brie
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 11:34am

Thank you :womanhappy:

I've always eaten healthy, too, but this time around I am really watching the amount of food that I eat. I mean, as you see - I am quite small (5'3) , so the 70 lbs were all over the place - even my nose got bigger!

I stopped weighing myself every day a week ago - a little worried about the appt. next week... I always weigh more at the doctor's. They don't let me strip to go on the scale :womanwink:

Also - I still try to go to the gym 3 times a week (I sit at work, too, and now that I limit my getting up for the sake of people not noticing my belly I sit even more) and I believe the fact that the final trimester will be in the Summer and I will be able to go for walks (with my DD we had snowstorms almost weekly for the last 3 months of pregnancy so I avoided leaving the house) - I'm really hopeful.

Since you have more experience with pregnancies - what are the main differences as far as seasons are concerned?

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 11:56am

I told my nurse the other day that scales should be outlawed in OB offices. LOL. Especially since we cannot get naked! Totally my preference. :) But I'm not weighing myself at all.

I think it's more about the quality of food that you eat as opposed to quantity. If you can find healthy things that you really dig, you'll be ok. I scarfed a half a head of red cabbage yesterday. About 3 cups steamed just to not raw, then sauteed in a small bit of olive oil and a little bit balsamic vinegar. That entire plate of food maybe had 150-200 cal and a lot of vite c and a. It was a great snack and filled me up until lunch. I really believe it's all about choices.

Hmmm, seasons. I think the biggest thing is swelling the summer months, and maybe just staying comfortable because your internal thermostat may be out of whack. I've been really lucky in that up until this one, I've not been really big in the hottest summer months (I have May, June, and November babies), but we're in Texas now and this past July was fricken brutal, and we nearly melted in August (which is why I've decided I will NOT be making it to my EDD, LOL). If you're in a warm climate like we are, you'll just want to keep hydrated, and try not to get overheated. I'm truly dreading summer. I may not leave the house unless I have to. I think we had 45 days of triple digits last summer. Freakin' kill me.

I don't think winter posed any particular challenges with me as far as comfort or anything. Just had to be more careful on snow/ice because of shifting center of gravity. I fell badly when I was pregnant with Libby and I'm convinced it's that fall that gave her her birthmark on her cheek. Probably not, but I fell on my stomach at about 5m. As much as I think 70 degree temps are stupid for January, huge bonus of being in TX is that we've no serious winter to speak of. We've had a few cold days this entire season. I have my air on today. Unbelievable.

HTH. I think a lot just varies on where you are and who you are. Everyone is different so hard to say how it will be with you. I hope we all have an easy time of it when things get warmer, though! :)

Brie
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 12:28pm

Thanks!

I'm in Mass, so we get the humidity in the Summer, but I guess the heat isn't nearly as bad as in Texas. Phew.

And food - believe me, it's also about the amounts. I eat very healthy - I put flax oil, flax seeds, wheat germ and stuff like that in everything I make. My diet consists of fruit and greek yogurts and I try to buy everything organic. I snack on nuts and occasionally granola or fat free popcorn (if I want to be 'wild' ;) ) I only drink water or about once a week almond milk. The thing was that when I was pregnant I just ate a lot more of those things and put weight on. So yeah, quantity matters. And I bet the lack of exercise didn't help either.

Your meal sounds super yummy, but I can't eat cabbage - I get too bloated and my gas gets deadly (sorry for TMI).

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 12:41pm

LOL, I get gassy. I just don't care. ;)

I go through phases with my veggies. This week it's red cabbage. Could be squash or brussels sprouts next week. I've probably eaten 15 pounds of tomatoes in the first trimester. Same thing with fruit. I was apple crazy there for a bit. I do eat not so healthily at times...I had a handful of lime tostitos just a little while ago. I just try to keep things like that in moderation. And, the other thing is, there are 5 of us. Nothing junky lasts for very long, LOL. I don't buy a lot of unheathy snacks, which is probably why the family scarfs them down so quickly.

I also went through a cheese quesadilla phase for a couple weeks, but put a good amount of wheat germ on them so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

I drink a ton of skim milk, always have. I'm bad about drinking water, though. I get a few bottles in, but the kids usually have to bring a bottle to me. Come summer I'll be much better because it's just so necessary.

I think sometimes the whole weight gain is a crap shoot, honestly. I had much more of an appetite in my past pregnancies. Having gained so little this far along is not normal for me at all. But, the first few weeks were pretty brutal, and maybe I lost some weight, I don't know. I couldn't eat anything. Even now I cannot eat very much at one time. Seems like I get full quickly. But, I do eat often as a result. Who knows how it will all shake out. I'm trying to not worry too much.

I think I'm going to have some tomatoes and cottage cheese now. :) I do find that talking about food makes me want to eat. LOL.

Brie
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 3:38pm
I work from home too, so yeah not a big wardrobe issue here either. I'm currently still in all my normal clothes. I usually don't start to show until around 18 - 20 weeks so this is pretty normal for me. That's usually when I have to do the rubber band in the jeans deal and then finally submit to the strechy prego pants. This is baby #4 though, so I might pop a lot sooner, we'll see. So far, so good.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 4:33pm
I have a few of my jeans that still fit, but they are getting snug. I am wearing some maternity clothes, but it depends on what kind of waist it has. I am a teacher, so I have to dress professionally Monday - Thursday. It is becoming a struggle because I am actually getting uncomfortable in my shirts more than my pants.....strange, huh?

Pages