What is your career?

iVillage Member
What is your career?
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:21pm

In the Maternity Leave thread, many of revealed our careers... teachers, lawyers, etc.

What do you do for a living? What did you study in school? Do you do that now? Are you a stay-at-home mom with a side business (ETSY, etc)?

Can't wait to learn more about each of you!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 9:40pm
Fourth grade teacher! I love what I do.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 11:16pm

I'm a stay at home mom.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 11:27pm
I am an RN at a Level 1 trauma center. I work PACU (Recovery from surgery). Most days I absolutely love it. But there are other days that are physically and mentally draining. Those days are not fun, especially being pregnant. Overall I am passionate about my career and enjoy the experience!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 6:17am

I loved being a SAHM -- truly the best gig ever!

Very cool about nursing school. I love our nurses. Doctor's too, but the nurses particularly rock. :)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 6:22am

I think that's amazing. Anyone in healthcare, really, because it has to be a rewarding but also a very difficult job at times.

I think I thought about that when I was younger (like when I was a kid), but then it became clear that I couldn't do anything that involved injury, or blood, or needles. I'm very vasovagal and while I've not fainted over anything lately, I come dreadfully close A LOT. It's so bad that I cannot even read about a simple procedure. Like all this stuff with pregnancy? The test and such? Yeah. I literally get woozy and I have to go sit down on the couch or put my head between my legs. It's getting worse the older I get, too.

Brie
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 7:16am

Primarily I did the SAHM thing from the time Libby was born until Jake was about 4 when hubby and I separated and I went to school full time. Received my Bachelor's in Paralegal Studies and then went straight into grad school and I have my Master's in Library Science. Couldn't get a job to save my life after I graduated in 2009 (every library system it seemed was in some sort of crisis and/or hiring freeze), so I went to a temp agency and landed my current job through them. It was supposed to be a temp-to-hire, but I hit it off with the main partner so well that he hired me outright, full salary and benefits. I've been with them for almost 2.5 years now. When hubby decided to take this job here in TX, all 3 partners consented to me working from home, and I've been doing that for a year come June.

I'm in marketing analysis, products mainly. Those online survey companies -- we partner with some of those and also do mall studies as well. I work with data, turning raw data into something the client can digest.

It's probably actually boring to everyone else, but it's really neat from the standpoint that we know what new products are and are not going to make it to market and why. We get to try various products, too.

I really like what I do most days, and don't see ever not doing it, really. I do work from 7-4 every day, but I have the flexibility to do the family stuff when I need to, and I just make up the time through the pay period or use comp time to make up the difference (normally I'll work through lunches since I can eat at my desk). Being able to work from home is really the best thing ever. The pay is good, and I feel appreciated for the most part, at least by our partners. Project staff, not so much some days, LOL. But that's how it is everywhere, I think.

Brie
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 8:35am

Very interesting! I love to hear what other's do!

I'm a broadcast meteorologist. I forecast and present the weather for our weekend morning shows and during the news at noon (Monday through Wednesday). I studied broadcast journalism and broadcast meteorologist in college and have been working in the TV news business for 10 years. It's a lot of fun! But the hours get very wacky! I'm up at 3 AM each Saturday and Sunday and done for the day at 10 AM (unless there is severe weather.. and then my hours are all over the place and very LONG). I work 9 to 5 on Monday through Wednesdays... unless there is severe weather. Also my hours get changed around a lot when I fill in for other meteorologists who are sick or on vacation.

The other perk is that we only need daycare 3 days a week. My husband has a M-F, 9 to 5 job, and I'm Saturday through Wednesday. So Nate is home with one of us Thursday through Sunday (4 days a week). He gets the social exposure of daycare, but also the at-home time with mom and dad.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 9:58am
At the moment, I'm a student :) I'm going to be a vet tech when I finish :) Fingers crossed I find work in my field.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 1:40pm
This is so awesome!! I love hearing what you all do!! I am a SAHM. When I got pregnant with the twins, I was in school to be a Middle School Math teacher. I figured out quickly that daycare for two infants was not going to be worth it, so I decided to stay home. Now with the third on the way, I'm definitely gonna be home until they start school. Then I might go back, or I might just let my husband work, depends on what's going on at the time. :D
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 10:32pm
I teach High School English. I majored in English Literature at FSU. I stayed home for 18 months with my first and loved every minute of it, but was happy to go back to work. :-) Wish I could take another 18 months off!!!!!! Oh well......4 will have to be enough. :-(

Pages