What is your career?

iVillage Member
What is your career?
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:21pm

In the Maternity Leave thread, many of revealed our careers... teachers, lawyers, etc.

What do you do for a living? What did you study in school? Do you do that now? Are you a stay-at-home mom with a side business (ETSY, etc)?

Can't wait to learn more about each of you!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 8:43am

I've loved reading what all of you do!

My ideal career would be to be a SAHM and nothing else.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 1:57pm
Anna- I understand how you feel about the failure thing. It took me a long time to reconcile my life as it is with the life I thought I would have. Just know that your success is immeasurable and to continue to see yourself as an educated and patient woman.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 1:01pm

I went to school for legal secretary and worked in that field for 5 years before I decided I needed a change. I worked for almost 2 years at a large clinic in a very busy Internal Medicine department, which I loved! I was a receptionist/scheduler/office assistant. I miss my former employees very much but keep in touch with them often! I'm now a stay-at-home mom and take care of 4 extra kids besides my own. I LOVE being home with my kids and knew that's what I always wanted to do if DH and I could make it happen. Once the kids are in school I plan to go back to work full-time.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 10:57am

Great question!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-25-2012 - 12:54pm
This is really neat to read what everyone does!

I am a health insurance broker, and surprisingly I love it!
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-25-2012 - 11:51am

What a talented group of women in our group! I have been a labor and delivery nurse for the last 5 1/2 years. Before that I was a stay-at-home mom for 3 years. I got my first Bachelor's degree in psychology. Then had my first two kids and stayed home with them. I applied for nursing school and then found out I was pregnant with my third. I had him in the middle of the program and got my BSN. Now I am finishing up my Master's for Certified Nurse Midwife. I have two quarters left. If all goes well with this pregnancy, I will graduate the beginining of August. Not sure how easy it will be to find a job though. I am in clinicals right now and start delivering babies this week!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-25-2012 - 9:56am

Well, I'm not sure you should feel like a failure - it's tough out there for everyone. I graduated with honors in both of my programs and interned in both as well -- one internship was with a judge and then another was in the cataloging department of a law library, and I still couldn't find either a paralegal or library job once I had my master's in hand. There are so many people out there competing for jobs that it's just hard to land one. Especially if one doesn't have a lot of experience. Which we cannot get because we cannot get our foot in the door because there are so many out there who have more experience. It's a catch 22.

Networking is almost an absolute requirement these days. You have to be involved in whatever professional groups you can, email listservs/newsgroups, twitter, fb, your alumni organization, and get on LinkedIn if you're not already, and get the word out that you're looking when you're ready to look, of course. Probably nothing you don't already know, but always worth mentioning just in case.

I had called my realtor come over and start helping me with whatever I needed to do to sell the house when hubby was looking to move within his company about 4 months after I graduated with my MLS. I just happened to mention that I was looking for work, and coincidentally her DIL worked at a placement agency, and within 2 weeks of getting things squared away in her office, I was employed. It's funny how things work sometimes. You just never know what connection is going to help you reach your goals.

Hang in there. I hope once you have the baby and are ready, things will fall into place.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-25-2012 - 9:03am

As I mentioned in the maternity leave thread, I am an attorney, but I haven't been one for very long. I graduated law school last May, took (and passed) the bar in July and have been licensed to practice law since November.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-25-2012 - 8:54am

I currently teach 5th grade...but I've also taught Kindergarten, 3rd, and 4th grade as well. This is my 5th year teaching but I've been moved around, and it looks like I'll have to move around next year again. I studied Elementary Education and always knew I wanted to be a teacher.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 10:32pm
I teach High School English. I majored in English Literature at FSU. I stayed home for 18 months with my first and loved every minute of it, but was happy to go back to work. :-) Wish I could take another 18 months off!!!!!! Oh well......4 will have to be enough. :-(

Pages