Who will be in the delivery room with you?

iVillage Member
Who will be in the delivery room with you?
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 9:07am

Who will be in the room with you when you give birth? Will it be just you and your DH/SO? Will you have friends and/or family members join you? Also, who do you think should have the final say on who gets to be in the room with you? Since it is your labor and delivery, should that be left up to you?

Who Gets to Be in the Delivery Room? How Many is Too Many? Who Decides?-

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 11:29am
JUST my husband, and the one bearing her goods always gets the final say, period END OF STORY! :) Lucky for me, my H isn't interested in anyone else being there either!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 1:57pm
With my son it was my DH, my doula, and my parents were at the hospital, but only my mom came into the room and she stayed out of the way. I'm not sure who will be there this time.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 6:43pm
Being as this will be a second c-section, it will only be my DH again. After I come out of recovery then I'm sure my parents and his parents will be right there, again. :D
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 10:21pm

Just my husband.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 7:22am

With Libby, we had a gaggle of people in the room when I delivered. A whole bunch of students happened by at some point, after I'd already had the epidural, so the managing doc asked if they could watch and I was game. So, it was a full room with them, hubby, and an older mom-friend who was coaching me.

But, with Will and Jake and what will be true with Zoë, just hubby and whatever doctors/nurses are necessary. I don't think I minded the students in there with Libby because it's a learning thing and you cannot learn childbirth from a textbook, I get that. But just family/friends that are there to "help" me is unnecessary.

Even if I wanted someone else in there with me (I don't), it wouldn't be possible. We're here alone in TX and I know virtually no one. Family is too far away. So, good thing I'm comfortable with just hubby! :)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 9:30am

Just my family - husband and kids, if they want to be there, and our midwife and assistant (obviously).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 10:34am

For my DS birth, it was my husband and mom. I loved having both of them there. My mom and I are very close... and I've always wanted her with me to comfort me when I'm not feeling well, so labor qualified! She held one hand, my husband held the other, and both did a fantastic job of encouraging me through the pushing. And during the labor and contractions overnight, it was my mom who stayed up with me all night while my husband passed out on the couch. He'll never live that one down! My mom kept saying he has a long couple days... make that years, ahead of him... so she encouraged me to just let him sleep. My in-laws arrived literally right when it was time to push. After they came in to say hello, they went out to the waiting room during the whole pushing.

For #2, I will need my mom at home with my DS. So this time around, it will just be DH and I. I hope a close friend of mine will come by at some point and keep me company during the labor part of it all. But when the pushing begins, just DH and I. Although I would not mind having my mom with us again. She was a great help! However, I can't leave my three year old at home alone. Darnnit :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 11:49am
If I had the choice I'd deliver completely alone in a dark closet or something. I hate people being near me when I'm all cranky and vulnerable. My midwife and husband will be there though, and probably a nurse or two when he pops out. I have no idea how people handle rooms full of people talking and touching them!