Braxton Hicks?!

iVillage Member
Braxton Hicks?!
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 10:27pm
I'm a little concerned that for the last week I've been having braxton hicks. Nothing constant or strong, and we are moving. Obviously I don't do any heavy lifting, but I've been on my feet a lot more and lifting (light boxes) more than usual. Plus I have an upper respiratory infection. I had an ultrasound Thursday and it was great! Baby is doing just fine. I have an OB appt. this Wed. so I'll mention it to the Dr. I'm just wondering if you ladies think this is normal given the circumstances?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 12:41am
Hi there,

I can't say for certain if it's normal, but I think so. With #1, I didn't have BH until I was well into the 3T, at least not that I was aware of. This time around, I'm regularly lifting my 30+ lb toddler, more active (because of her), working, carrying stuff and walking a lot, and probably not getting quite enough sleep or drinking quite enough water, and I'm 99% sure I'm also having BH. For me, they're like 1-3x/day, and not consistently every day. I have an appt with my midwife on Wednesday, so that's definitely my #1 question as well.

I'll post back with my results...please do the same! We can compare notes. And I'm about 17 weeks, so I'm a little ahead of you. I'm not sure exactly when they started, but I think (based on the feeling, if it is BH) 2-3 weeks ago at least!

Meanwhile, drink more water. That's the one thing that I know is supposed to help! :)
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 7:59am

We all actually have occasional contractions all along, most people just don't notice them or recognize them. Women

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 8:13am

I had my very first one yesterday morning for about 15-20 seconds while I was laying down (it woke me up, actually). This is my 4th pregnancy and I cannot say that I recall having them this early in the other pregnancies, but with Jake they started at about 18 weeks, so close. Like has been said, probably drink more water. Also, try to get more rest. I think it's always a good idea to mention things like this to the doc as well.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 9:11am
Thanks ladies. My last appt. I was dehydrated so that's a good possibility as well. I feel better hearing its probably normal :) Rosie I'll let u know what they say...thanks!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 10:51pm
What number of pregnancy is this for you? It seems extremely early to be feeling BH contractions. I'll tell the doc just to be on the safe side.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 10:38am

Did you speak to your doc about it?

I had 4 of these yesterday, spaced very far apart and only while I was laying down or resting on the couch. I moved our bedroom furniture around yesterday to accomodate the crib, and thought that may have contributed. Spoke to my nurse this morning and she's told me to stop moving furniture (LOL) and just stay hydrated (which I'm really good about once I have one BH). She did say that anything feeling more like a menstrual cramp and less like the tightening I'm feeling would be a cause for concern. And these are decidedly not like a cramp at all.

I'm on vacation this week, which means I'll probably be doing a lot more physically than my usual, but I will just have to try to pace myself and not overdo it. I do want to move Jacob's bunk bed, but I think I'll have Libby do that before she leaves on her vacation tomorrow. Hubby is OOT until Friday, so no help from him.

Anyhoo. Seems like BH even now are not necessarily a worry, but confirmation that heavy activity and dehyradtion can help bring them on. Take it easy, mamas!

Brie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 9:52pm
I've been having a lot today. This is so strange because I've never felt them this early. It sort of freaked me out, but it's nothing that is getting more intense or super uncomfortable, just noticeable.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 10:44pm
This is my 4th pregnancy. I also found out I was dehydrated. The Dr. seemed unconcerned.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 6:11am

I ended up having as many as 8 of them one day last week -- and I wasn't doing ANYTHING to bring them on. I ended up calling the nurse again because I started to panic, and she talked to the doc. Since I wasn't yet 20w at the time, she told me that I could go to the ER and not L&D yet, but, she wasn't worried and didn't think it was necessary. Even having 2 and hour several times in one day wasn't enough to worry the doc. So, I just continued to take it easy and I stopped laying on my back -- that seemed to almost eliminate them completely.

I seriously just don't recall them like this, and certainly not so early. But, the nurse said that the more babies we've had, the earlier they occur.

The good news is that Zoë has really making her presence known these past few days. Hubby can feel her kicks now. I had some grape soda around 6pm last night and boy, she REALLY woke up after that, and a few of her movements were really strong (not painful or anything, just really there, no mistaking it was her). So, that makes me feel better. :)

Brie
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 8:43pm

I started having them pretty regular again too. Then at my check up found out I have a UTI...yuck! So the Dr. said that normally causes cramping and can even cause preterm labor if left untreated!

Pages