Depression sucks

iVillage Member
Depression sucks
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 9:14am

Ugh, here it is again, showing it's ugly head...depression!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 10:09am
It seriously does. I was suicidally depressed in 8th and 9th grade, but thankfully I've never gone back to feeling like that since I figured out what was causing it. But it does put me at a higher risk for PPD and depression in general, thankfully I've learned my own warning signs that I'm slipping into that hole again and need to grab a rope :) JMO, I think you should call your doc and see what you can do, you know you don't feel right and you know they can help you get back to feeling right. Maybe ask how soon you should be seeing results from that light box thing? I've heard of some people with mild SAD that go tanning once a month or so, maybe that would help?

Hang in there, Momma :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 10:27am

Awww, it does sound like you need to talk to the doc. I know -- taking anything during pregnancy is scary. I was afraid to take my m/s pill and only did so because I was soooo nauseous and had too much to do at work to be feeling poorly. I even suffer through a headache as long as I can before taking something (which is probably dumb since it only gets worse). So I understand your feeling here, but if your doc and other docs are telling you it is safe, then maybe you can put your trust in them and see if you can adjust, even just slightly. Pregnancy is just too hard on a gal to add depression to it.

I've also heard that the UV in tanning beds is used to help treat SAD, but I'm not entirely sure doctors advise that while pregnant (but not like you'd go everyday and get tanorexic or anything)... so you should inquire about that. If 10 minutes a week even could boost you, that would be incredible.

Poor bug. :(

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 3:07pm
Chelsey,

I wanted to share a link with you to the Pregnancy & Postpartum Depression board here on iVillage. I really encourage you to visit the board. It is filled with wonderful ladies who know just how you are feeling and they may have some tips and advice (not to mention support!) to share with you. Big huge (((HUGS))) to you!

Pregnancy & Postpartum Depression- http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Postpartum-Pregnancy-Depression/ct-p/iv-ppppd

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 6:41pm
oh chelsey, i know what youre going thru and it sux. i have ppd and stopped taking my zoloft till i spoke to my dr about it and she said to not start again. she told me i seemed ok and since ive been off it for awhile anyways to not start again. now if i had been more like 'omg i need my zoloft!' she would tell me to go ahead w it. but im starting to feel detached from my youngest baby again and blah. its prolly my fault for not being totally honest w her tho.

hubby is a great help. he understands what im going thru on top of being pregnant which as we all know is hard enough. but i feel no comfort as im just getting deeper and deeper, kwim?

i kwym about not doing nething social, except its mostly me not wanting to do anything w anyone. i just dont wanna bother w anything.

anyways, yes i know what youre going thru...and if upping your meds is what u and ur doc think is best, then do it. im pretty sure im gonna hv another talk w my dr about starting my meds again.

hth ((HUGS))
 IAmPregnant Ticker<
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 10:08am
I don't think you can tan while pregnant. Can you?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 10:26am

Honestly, since it doesn't cook your insides when you're not pregnant, it stands to reason that the UV lights themselves won't hurt the baby. I think the bigger concern is getting overheated. We're not supposed to take really hot baths or go dipping into hot tubs, so that, I think, is the bigger concern here. Well that and skin cancer, of course. (And I suppose that's quite the biggie.)

I'm not entirely certain how much time exposed to UV rays is necessary for effective treatment for SAD (or even if it could help you, for that matter) but if just a few minutes a week would help, then I think the risk of overheating would be minimal. But that's just going off my experience when I tanned. The first few minutes weren't hot at all, especially when in a good bed -- the kind with a lot of fans and/or high-speed fans. But that was me -- I'm sure someone else's experience could be different.

But, I would NEVER consider doing it without my doctor's ok. I think a convo with the doc would be beneficial, but of course if you were remotely worried about it, it wouldn't be worth it to try. You don't need one more thing to be worried about at this time.

Ideally what will happen is you find that the light box is going to work for you and you won't even need to think about other alternatives. That's what I'm hoping for you.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 1:05pm
Hugs to you... I feel your frustration. I've been depressed this pregnancy, and it's finally lifted now that I'm almost out of the first tri. I've weaned down my lexapro, so I'm happy my mood is stabilizing without need for meds.

Have the docs check your vitamin D level. You can take an OTC vit D supplement, but if you're low enough they may prescribe you one. Taking vitamin D is a natural depression fighter. It's made my wean even easier!

Hang in there and please use us for support. It sounds like quite a few of us can empathesize. Strength - and happiness! - in numbers.

Nikki
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 2:59pm
I don't know, honestly. I've never been to a tanning bed, largely because I burn faster than I tan usually. I've got that really pale Irish skin tone to go with my red hair, lol. I have tanned through SPF 35 UVA/UVB sunblock that I applied 30 minutes before going out and religiously ever 2 hours after that, so I've always just figured a tanning bed would be bad. That and my father had basal nodal skin cancer and I'm still uncertain if that make me any more likely to get it or worse, melanoma.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 8:15am
Thanks for the support. I will be talking to my doctor about tanning. I really think I'm going to have to call my doc to up my meds as well. I could struggle through this, but I have an entire family to think about, not just myself and not just my baby. This effects them as well. I want to be the best mother I can be to both the one in womb, as well as the others. I'm just sinking deep. I love my family and I just want to do right by all of them. Ugh, this is why depression sucks, there is just no easy fix and there is no quick fix, and there is no way you can have it without it hurting others around you. I'll call my doc on Monday.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 10:28pm
I was told that as long as I didn't go any longer than 10 minutes a few times a week in a lay down bed, that tanning would be fine. I notice a big difference in my mood and self-esteem when I am tanning a couple times a week. I have continued to tan throughout this pregnancy under those guidelines.

Pages