Did anyone ever gain a lot in the first trimester but still only gain a normal amount overall?

iVillage Member
Did anyone ever gain a lot in the first trimester but still only gain a normal amount overall?
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 7:59am

I've gained a lot in the first trimester, I think about 12-15 lbs. It's hard to say because I'm not sure how much I weighed to begin with. It's a combination of actual weight, bloating, water, horrible constipation and breasts the sizes of cantaloupes (which gross me out to no end). Also, it should be noted that I was a smoker before I found out I was pregnant (a relic from my bohemian past) and I quit cold turkey.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member

Ok, first things first. Most of us do NOT look like we did going into the pregnancy just after we give birth. Yes, there are some women who either a) don't gain a lot of weight, or b) have amazing metabolism or genetics working in their favor, but I wouldn't guess that the majority of women look amazing just after giving birth. Realistically, you can expect to lose about 12 pounds right after you deliver -- that's baby, amniotic fluid, placenta, extra fluids/blood you've gained in your pregnancy, and that amount probably varies.

So there's that.

Second, you know what you need to do, you just need to get in the mindset of doing it. You need to eat healthier. Salt is going to help you retain fluids, and too much even when you're not pregnant is not good for you. Junk food isn't good for us anyway, either. I'm not saying to necessarily cut out junk altogether, because that's no way to live, but just do it in moderation. Eat more protein, veggies, and good carbs than you eat junk. Eat frequent, small meals. Drink a ton of water.

What is done now is done, so you have to wrap your head around that. On average, if beginning with a healthy weight at the onset of pregnancy, you should gain 1-2 pounds a week for the 2nd/3rd trimesters, and I think that varies depending on who you talk to/what you read. Your doctor at this point would be your best resource. I certainly wouldn't diet, just try to eat better.

You're not a hideous blob. You're making a baby, and that by definition makes you a gorgeous, glowing woman. It's hard when you come into it with body image issues, but remind yourself that you're doing something really big here, and your body changes to adapt to this amazing, wonderful event. Do NOT beat yourself up for the first trimester. You cannot go back in time, so there's no sense regretting it. Just go forward with the idea that you're going to make some positive changes here. Eat better, drink more water, maybe walk more if you can, and try to relax. Treat yourself to the stuff you crave, but make it a treat, not an everyday or every meal thing.

You'll be fine. Just be a little more gentle with yourself. :)

Oh, and as far as people go -- people are just ignorant effers sometimes. Use your voice the next time some jerk says something mean. You don't have to return in kind, but you can let someone know that they're words are at best inappropriate and at worst very unkind. Or slug them. ;) Sometimes learning something the hard way is the best lesson. LOL.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member

For some reason I seem to gain early, but even out by the end. My doc in my previous pregnancies would comment on my weight gain in the beginning and by the end I would only gain about 20 pounds. Mind you I start out a little over my ideal weight. I think I am 6 above my prepregnancy weight already. If you were underweight to begin with, you might need to gain more than an average size person or an overweight person. Thinner people tend to show faster because they don't have extra padding to hide the pregnancy. The first trimester is survival mode. Just eat what you can to stay healthy and keep from getting sick. As you get further along, you might notice your eating slow because there is less room for your stomach. At least that is always my problem. Or maybe that is because I am shorter and don't have a long torso. I also tend to lose the baby weight right away when I breastfeed. My problem is always when I stop breastfeeding and start gaining again. That is when I have to really start being careful what I eat and how much I exercise. HTHs.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

When I was pregnant with DS, I actually gained about 12 lbs during my first trimester, but ended up at a total of about 35 for the entire pregnancy. I know it was because I ate alot of junk in the first T- carbs seemed to be the only thing I could stomach. I think you still have a shot at ended up not too bad. Once I hit 2T, I was able to stomach fruits and veggies again and I ate alot better. And as PP mentioned, your apetite does decrease during the 3T because there just isn't room for the food anymore! :) Good luck with things!

iVillage Member

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one. Sorry about the melodramatic rant. I'll try to reign in the hormones.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
We get it :) We're all in the same boat, or close to it. I've lost track of the number of times I've lost it at my DH since finding out. Heck that night I lost it with him cause he wasn't excited enough (outwardly) for me, lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Awww -- I just don't want you to beat yourself up over it, that's all. You're going to be hormonal -- that's understandable. That's why we're here, to share in this, lift each other up, and talk one another down from the ledges.

A few weeks ago I had an argument with my 15yo. It wasn't even an argument really, but he was being fresh and then I was off to the races (I'm a bit high-toned anyway, and will not tolerate lip from the children). Then hubby got involved, trying to help, and the next thing you know I'm a great big ball of tears. We've just got so many hormones in us that this sort of thing is apt to happen sooner or later.

All we can do is be as kind to ourselves as possible. Pregnancy is challenging, for sure!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
"reign in the hormones" - LOL!

I gained 30 lbs the first MONTH with both my first kids. Talk about depressing.

My third pregnancy, I was adamant that would not happen again, and kept a food journal and exercised the entire pregnancy. Gained 35 total pounds. Nothing short of a miracle for me! I was stoked!

This pregnancy, I am again keeping a food journal and running, but I am not tracking weight. My midwife can do that for me :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I agree, don't reign in the hormones on here, where else do we have to just let those hormones go?? ;-) I totally need to vent hormones on here so as not to totally freak out my family. Keep up the good work!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
What she said ^^^
Photobucket