Excessive weight gain?

iVillage Member
Excessive weight gain?
Fri, 04-27-2012 - 10:35pm

With my first two pregnancies I barely gained anything during the first half (like 7 pounds at 20 weeks) then gained slow but steady, and ballooned in the last 2 or 3 months.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-29-2012 - 2:38pm
(oops) optimal diet. My mw has me following the Brewer pregnancy diet which is a much more nutritionally sound eating way of life than what the ACOG suggests. Everything I eat is natural and fresh, little to no processed foods at all.

She also has me drinking as much of a gallon of water I can drink. I haven't managed to get a gallon down yet, but have done 3L daily of cucumber water. The "cukes" pull out toxins and excess water weight, and let me tell you - once I started drinking more water, I dropped 5 lbs. I've gained 25 lbs at my 25w. Don't focus on the scale in comparison to what your daughters needed, but exalt in the fortitude you are providing your son! This is it. One shot at baby's health in utero. You've totally got this. <3
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-29-2012 - 2:34pm
I agree with Brie in that it's water under the bridge. Best thing to do now is remind yourself this is the ONLY time you will be pregnant with THIS baby and to embrace every change handed to you along the way. I learned to celebrate my pounds gained. When I see those numbers go up, I feel proud of myself for giving my babe an optimal environment. The goal is placental health. That can only be achieved by an
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-29-2012 - 12:23pm

I'm up 25 lbs at 25.5 weeks. Weird thing was that I gained about 15-20 lbs in the first trimester, then things slowed down.  I'm guessing I'll gain about 40 overall, which isn't so bad. I think weight gain is like any other pregnancy symptom, it is mostly about how your individual body is responding to the hormones. Some pregnant women get morning sickness, some don't.. Some pregnant women get acne, some don't. Some pregnant women gain a a lot of weight, some don't. It's really not within our control, so no sense worrying about it. Just remember that you can lose all the weight you want after the baby is born, so it ultimately doesn't matter.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-29-2012 - 11:06am

I honestly believe that every woman's body handles pregnancy it's own way, no matter what we do.  I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly, and I'm up 25 lbs in 24 weeks.  My last 2 pregnancies, I gained a total of 46 and 48 lbs.  I remember my mother telling me she gained around 50 with each of her pregnancies as well, so maybe it's a hereditary thing.  Either way, I believe you when you say you're not doing anything to gain that much, I just think our bodies store the extra weight more than others for whatever reason.  I feel for you, trust me!  I hate getting on the scale after the first trimester!   We should be weight loss budies after these babies get here!  =)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers