Long Extended Maternity Leave...

iVillage Member
Long Extended Maternity Leave...
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 9:36am

I work from home in a job that I love.

The company I work for is having some trying financial times.  They've asked me to take a manditory 3 month maternity leave.  Because I work for a small business, we don't get any paid vacation days so all 3 of these months is going to be unpaid.  Part of me is thrilled because we're starting home schooling this year, and having the new baby and being able to concentrate on just those two things.  Part of me is terrified because I'm going 3 months without a paycheck.  I'm trying to just look at it as a gift from God that I'm going to have uninterupted time with my kiddos, and trust that He'll work out the financial side of life. 

I'm getting so excited to meet this little person!  Nora, my 4 year old, grabbed my belly yesterday and yelled, "Baby!  This is your sister Nora!  You need to come out so that I can see your face!"  I couln't have said it better myself ha ha!  She wants a baby sister so bad.  I tried to tell her that she already has a baby sister, but that didn't seem to make a difference.  Leah wants a little brother so bad, and I think Lydia wants a cat.  Needless to say, 2 out of the 3 are going to be disapointed ;-)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 3:48pm
Thanks Brie! It's just another opportunity for an adventure with the Lord ;-) He never disapoints.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 8:53am

OH Chelsey, that's tough - especially without much notice, so you could have prepared financially. But I agree - you'll be able to concentrate on enjoying your baby instead of feeling pressure to think about work. Everything will work out in the end, it always does.God bless!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 11:13am
I know it will work out, it's just going to be extremely tight. We've lived with next to nothing before so I know we can do it, it's just a bummer because we've gotten used to having a little extra cush to do more with. We'll make it work. I know how to save money. Looks like Ramon Noodles for a while LOL.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 8:16am

Very cute about what all the kids are wanting!  Both of mine really want a baby sister...but we have definitely set them up to be prepared for a boy!  When people ask them what do they want it to be - they say "a girl, but we know it can be a boy and that's ok"!! 

Anyhow - I get the scariness of the unpaid time off - even if it's not the primary income - it is still income that you used & needed.  However, I really believe that things happen for a reason overall...so I think this really is a blessing so you can focus on your kids for a few months.  Plus, at least you can know it is temporary.  You seem to have a good attitude about it - which helps a lot.  But it is scary and will be an adjustment.  But do enjoy the rewards you will be getting from the situation!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 9:09am
It's been amazing. I've been enjoying this week with the girls so much. I've been so much less stressed without all the phone calls, emails, and everyone and their brother needing something from me at all hours of the day. We've been painting and playing and it's been a blast. The money will work itself out. The way I see it, there is nothing I can do about it except adapt and enjoy.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 4:16pm
Well, they cannot force you to take maternity leave. In truth, you have been laid off and are probably eligible for unemployment. They are probably just calling it maternity leave so that you don't file for unemployment benefits.

I would contact the company and tell them that since you work from home, you do not require maternity leave. As such, this mandatory break should be characterized as a lay off. Then file for benefits.
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 6:56pm
I never thought of that. Would my employer have to pay the benefits, or would they come out of something else?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 7:12pm
Unemployment Insurance is a federal social insurance program. A portion of your check pays into the fund ever pay period as part of your payroll taxes. Additionally, our employer pays an amount into the fund every month. Your benefits, if you qualify and file, would come from the federal fund. It is not welfare, it is insurance that you pay for every month whether you use it or not. Your employer would not pay your benefits, however, when employees file for benefits it can increase their monthly premium rate.
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 2:15pm
Good to know, thanks for the info!
Photobucket