Milk Update

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Milk Update
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:02pm

So as expected, what happened at the pediatrician visit is the same thing that happened at my first son's visit (both on day 4 before milk came in). The pediatrician loaded me up with formula and told me to start giving him 2 oz every two hours during the day and 3 oz every three hours at night. She wants me to come back in and check his weight on Friday.

Well, later last night, my boobs started getting HARD and I notices more of a swishing/gulping noise when Josh was drinking. My boobs were still really hard this morning. I nursed him every 3 hours overnight... and we've been on a every two hour schedule so far today. 

I have not started giving him the formula. I think frequent nursing is the key for us and I know if I keep up this 2 hour feedings... he will weigh more on Friday afternoon. I'm just stayiing positive and confident that that will be the case. I want to avoid formula until at least 9 months of age, if possible. I had such a successful nursing experience with Nathan (even after a beginning just like this), I know I can make it work and I need to not let my pediatrician scare me!

iVillage Member
In reply to: keeyamah
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 7:15pm
Semi-true from what I've heard more recently. It seems to depend on your doc/pedi and geographical area which ones they are using. The WHO made one based off of EBF babies up to 2 yrs I believe, and then I think that there is also a more recent formula based one that works better with "modern" kids. But IMO, its more important that the child follow their own personal curve, rather than any chart made by anyone else.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:57pm
I agree about the weight and growth chart. I remember reading a while back that they actually created the weight and growth chart back in the 60's when most women fed their babies formula and they haven't updated it since.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:56pm
Way to go and hang in there mama! You should be proud of yourself. Who knows, maybe it just takes your body longer than some. Sounds to me like everything is going good now. Good job!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:15pm

Good for you! Weight and growth charts are often not accurate for breastfed babies. If he is eating every two hours and your milk has come in, he should be fine. Formula is fine if that is your choice, but it can also cause a whole new set of problems with milk supply, gas, constipation, etc. Follow your gut and keep us posted.

Photobucket