Morning sickness at 5 weeks??

iVillage Member
Morning sickness at 5 weeks??
Wed, 12-21-2011 - 6:29pm
Hi all,

It seems that i'm starting to have m/s and I'm only 5 weeks along.I'm also very tired too.I thought symptoms start at 6 weeks.Is anyone else experiencing this as well?
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-22-2011 - 9:34am
I am! Last time it didn't hit me til week 8. I am a little stressed that it is hitting this soon. Ugh!
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-23-2011 - 8:03am

I've been doing some reading on this and while there isn't a definitive explanation for morning sickness, I'm finding that explanations vary from hormonal to protection (keeping us from food that might not be safe). In the hormone theory, morning sickness can equate to a healthy pregnancy becuase it means your hormone levels are high.

This is my 6th pregnancy, and I have 3 children (two miscarriages). With Libby, I wasn't very bothered by it, had a very healthy pregnancy and baby. I remember being sick a few times at work, but nothing severe. With the first MC at 6 or so weeks, no symptoms. With William, no morning sickness at all and again, healthy pregnancy and baby. 2nd MC, when they discovered my progesterone was low and put me on a supplement when I began spotting, and that's when I noticed feeling nauseous, but we didn't catch the deficiency in time. With Jacob, I had morning-noon-and-night sickness, but my doc put me on progesterone the minute we discovered I was pregnant (charting, so hit the doc at 18dpo) and I spent the entire first trimester feeling awful. His was a very problematic pregnancy with surgery at 8w, lots of other stuff, but all turned out well.

Brings us current to this pregnancy, and I discovered we were pregnant 10 days after I missed my period, saw the doc the next day, am on progesterone again and I feel awful. I'm even on an anti-emetic because the nausea is just too much.

So, there's a big part of me that thinks the rise in progesterone is a good cause of m/s at least for me, but even then not 100%. I have no idea what my hcg levels were with Libby and Will or the first MC, but with the 2nd MC, Jake, and this one, I had high levels early on, so maybe that's part of it, too. And, every few cycles I get migraines, and I'm having stupid headaches now, so I correlate that to the estrogen increase. In short, I think a lot of it is hormonal.

It could be that some women are especially sensitive to rising levels of hormone, and maybe not with every pregnancy, either. Our bodies change as we get older, so who knows.

I would not, however, be concerned that you're experiencing it early. There is no hard and steadfast rule on when a pregnant woman will experience m/s, if at all. It is all situational, I think. I do believe it is a good sign. What you want to make sure you're doing is eating and drinking enough. It's been hard for me even with the anti-emetic, so I'm drinking a protein shake in the morning to help me get the protein the baby needs, and I'm taking my prenatal with grapefruit juice so I'll better absorb the iron and maybe not be so tired (not sure that's helping as I am practically a narcoleptic by 4pm).

Also, be sure to discuss any concerns with your OB.

Best of luck to you!

Brie

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-23-2011 - 1:55pm

I'm not even 6 weeks yet and I'm extremely tired, like when I say extremely I mean I can hardly make it through the day without falling over.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-24-2011 - 6:21am
No morning sickness yet by I'm still really early. I do get heartburn from day 1 though all the way through until about 15 weeks (at least with DD I did). It was actually the firt "sign" I noticed because I don't normally get it. Makes it diff to eat and sleep though!

Jenn (28) & DH Zach (28)
Married 9/24/2005

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-27-2011 - 11:20am

I've felt queasy or carsick on and off since 5 weeks. I'm 7 weeks now and ready to be done with it! If I remember correctly, I was pretty much over the quesiness by 10 or 11 weeks. I hope that stays true this time around!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-27-2011 - 7:34pm
Since i first posted it was mild but now m/s has hit me full force.I'm so nauseas morning,day & night and I'm exhausted.Seriously I'm going nutts because nothing i do is helping.I can eat without vomiting but everything i do eat makes me feel sick afterwards.I know m/s is a good.Oh well i hope it lightens up because i don't know how much i can handle but i guess i don't have a choice.
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-28-2011 - 7:47am

I hope it doesn't last long and you feel better soon!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-28-2011 - 2:21pm
Thanks stpattygrl and everyone who posted!