Need some input....

iVillage Member
Need some input....
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 8:32am

Sooo.....

I am bipolar, and I am on Lamactil while pregnant.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-15-2012 - 2:08pm
I had (have?) antenatal depression this time around with the exact same symptoms. I was taking lexapro and am weaning off of it at the moment. Talk to your doc, but our regiment to help w mood stabilization is vitamin B complex, Vit D and St Johns Wort Tincture (2 dropperfuls a day). All are natural mood enhances, and I feel it has absolutely helped w easing depression, anger and anxiety.

Something else to consider is acupuncture. I want to try it, and have heard amazing things, but simply can't afford it right now.

Finally, I am getting my placenta encapsulated after birth. Google "placentabenefits" for all the info on the incredible solution.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 9:56am
I can tell you that I have been horribly depressed throughout my pregnancy. Since this is my first kid, I don't know if it will get better or worse postpartum.

I figure it is pretty clearly a side effect of all the extra hormones and I don't take any medication for it. In fact, I haven't even mentioned it to my Doctor, but that is mostly because I don't like my doc and I don't trust her to be sensitive about this sort of thing. I have a history of hormone related depression (really bad depression the week before my period.). It only got better a few years ago when i started taking the mini pill. (If I take birth control with estrogen in it the depression gets worse.)

It's been a pretty hard five months. Sometimes I feel guilty that I'm not really excited about the baby, because I can't really get excited about anything. I don't ever remember being this unhappy for this long. But I just remind myself that the situation is temporary and tell myself to suck it up.

Anyway, best of luck. Only four more months to go! We'll be feeling better soon.
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!