For those moms who have had to take maternity leave, a question...

iVillage Member
For those moms who have had to take maternity leave, a question...
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 10:21am

So, we have 3 kids, and I'm pretty well versed in a lot of baby stuff, except maternity leave. I was a SAHM when I had the first three, so I have no idea how one handles maternity leave. Our company guidelines are sketchy... just to keep the managing partner informed of goings on, and schedule maternity leave as early as possible.

With Libby and with Jake, I was induced. Libby because she was just late, and Jake because we had a lot of problems and my doc was as anxious to get him out as I was, so she induced me just after we hit the 38w mark and I was already a bit dilated/effaced. But, I only had two days notice on him.

I'm a planner by nature (ha, except when it comes to actually getting pregnant, LOL), so just curious how you handled it. I'm taking 8 weeks off, I think, but don't want to take any time off before actually going to the hospital to deliver. I get 3 weeks paid leave, then the rest will be vacation/comp time. Not having a paycheck for any of the time off really isn't an option right now, though I'm trying to get some money banked just in case.

Anyhoo. I know it's entirely too early to even think about this. Appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,

Brie
#4 EDD 8/5/12

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member

I was teaching when I had my first, so I am not sure if this would apply to other fields. I had to give them a start date for leave and a return date. It was assumed that if I went early, it would be adjusted accordingly. I was due on a Tuesday, so I just ended on a Friday and took the number of weeks after that. I ended up going 2 weeks early, so it began early. It at least gave them a reference for when they needed a sub. Depending on how your pg goes, things could be adjusted. Also, maybe they will accept a range of when you'd expect to go on leave and when you'd expect to return.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member

I've had two babies and two maternity leaves.

iVillage Member
Thanks for your input. It really is so early to be thinking about it, and no one is asking anything just yet (I let my managing partner know ASAP simply because I knew I'd have a load of doc appts given my age and history with complications), and the majority of my company knows (we're small, <50 employees), but we're far enough away EDD wise that it's a non-issue today. I suppose come July I'll have to ballpark it for sure. :)

Thanks again,
Brie

Brie
iVillage Member

Thanks for your input! It does help.

I think my EDD will be good enough for the partners, but I'm more concerned about everyone else. I'm in marketing (the analysis part of it) and workload is split between me and my 3 counterparts. We work for about 30 people between us, and at any given time any of them can have 3-6 jobs going simultaneously. It's very hectic some days, and very slow at others. From Thanksgiving until last week I ended up with about 30 hours of OT, but this week it is really quiet on my end (due to pick up like gangbusters next week!).

Luckily, summer months are when our clients typically are taking vacation so we aren't too busy, and things don't really start picking up until mid- to late September, so if I can manage to deliver even a bit early, it won't hurt the girls too much.

You only took of 6 weeks with your first? How were you feeling? I'm still trying to decide if working from home is going to make it easier or harder. We won't be putting the baby in daycare for a long while, if ever, and certainly wouldn't consider it until s/he is truly mobile. Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of flexibility where I can just work when the baby is sleeping -- we have deadlines and sometimes I have to turn on a dime. I'm kind of freaked out about all of it. LOL.

Sorry this is so long-winded. Like I said, I like to plan, and this is something that is very hard to plan. It does help to hear how other mommies managed.

Thanks much!

Brie

Brie
iVillage Member

Basically, I just told my boss the due date and we went with that. Then as we got closer and I got more uncomfortable, I made a decision to call the Sunday before my due date (a Thursday), my last day. I think I made that decision the week before that Sunday. Funny thing is my water ended up breaking on Saturday night, so I couldn't go in for my "last day". I think subconciously, I must have known. It was funny that Saturday night, calling my co-worker and saying... "Hey buddy, you're in for me in the morning! My water broke!" He was on standby for the call any time!

I took 8 weeks off (vaginal delivery) and then worked part time for two weeks (weekends only), before going back to 40 hours a week. We get short term disability money for 8 weeks at my company. It's 60% of our pay.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

This is a tricky issue. I teach... so, we just have to give them the due date and then see how it goes. For me, I will start the year with a sub, which I hate! I am 98% sure I will ask to be induced around July 22nd or so (2 weeks before my due date) so that my kids at school will only have a sub for about the first three weeks. I do not plan on taking a second more than six weeks off. My family is the most important thing, but my career is also part of my livelyhood. Tough choices...