What Were Your Reasons for Circ or Leave Intact?

iVillage Member
What Were Your Reasons for Circ or Leave Intact?
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 4:45pm

Totally not trying to start a debate, I'm just curious what your reasons were/are for circumcising your little boy or not.  I have 3 little girls so I've never had to cross that issue before.  In my case, DH is 100% for circumcising.  I don't love the idea because IMO it seems unnecessary, but he is so adamant that I feel like I shouldn't make a big issue about it.  So if we have a boy, he will be circumcised even though I don't like the idea.  What about the rest of you?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
We're leaving ours intact and my husband pretty much didn't have a say, haha. I could never put my baby through that pain, but more importantly it's not my penis to permanently alter for cosmetic reasons.
iVillage Member

We decided for it. Actually, I let it up to my husband. I figured he is circ'd so he would know best about whether or not it would be best for our boys. I am a little torn because I tend to feel it is unnessessary, but I have heard of people having to have it later in life because of personal choice or medical reasons and I can see that it is more difficult and painful later in life. My brother needed it done at about a year of age because of foreskin adhesion (?) I think it was something like that. I think if I was opposed, my husband would have been okay with it and visa versa. In the end, we just decided for it. With Mason, it was pretty much decided because the other boys already had it. From what I have seen with my own boys and what I see with the babies at work, they pretty much sleep through the procedure. The part they cry about more is being undressed and strapped down, but the actual procedure seems to be uneventful. Of course, I have no idea how much pain they actually feel afterward and I do worry a little bit about it, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as traumatic as me giving him a bath.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member

With our first ds it was a last minute decision literally. The dr was on the way to the hospital.  Since he was in the NICU and was already being poked and prodded my dh decided he didn't want  him to have it done. This time, it was just like like, nope we aren't doing it. We get crap about it from relatives and we just pretty much blow them off. It's not like its any of their business anyway, and like Kate said, it's not my penis..  I'm not even getting my daughters ears pierced until she's old enough to ask me.

iVillage Member

I'm like you Chelly...I left the decision up to DH and he is 100% for it...so thats what we're doing

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member

I don't have a personal preference.  We have 2 girls, so its always been a non-issue.  But I have always let DH decide and he is 100% for it.  And I am fine w/ that.  If it is a boy, he will get it done.  I figure that my DH has a better perspective on it, and since I'm ok w/ either decision, we're going w/ what he wants.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I'm the same with the ear piercing. I wouldn't get my girls' ears pierced until they asked me for it. So far, none of them have wanted it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I had the time with my first (being unemployed then) to do lots of research and I couldn't find any to sway me towards doing it. So I told my DH that I wanted a flat out yes or no opinion on it from him, before telling him what I thought. He said that he did not care either way and would go with what I chose. So both our boys are intact.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I didn't have my dh circumcised when he was born because it seemed unnecessary and I thought it would hurt my poor little Angelboy.  When he turned five years old, he had a few terrible infections, and it was painful for him to urinate. His pediatrician recommended that he see a urologist and guess what... He had to be circumcised. That was the most awful experience ever. He was so embarrassed because it hurt him to even wear underwear or walk. He laid in bed for about 2 weeks, only getting up for bathroom breaks.  I wish I had gotten the circumcision done when he was born. It would have spared him so much pain. He also wouldn't remember it.

iVillage Member

I'm so glad my DH and I were on the same page with this one. I see it as MUTILATION and I wouldn't let anyone hurt my child. Whenever they asked us in the hospital and we said we're nto circumsizing we got the same reaction every time 'that's good- there's no medical reason to do that anyway'.

My DH's brother is having a baby next month - they don't know what it is yet but he wants to circumsize (the fathers usually want their boys' thingies to look like theirs, duh! And he was circumsized- apparently there was a real push for it in the late 70s. It was after she witnessed his circumsision that my MIL decided to not let any of her boys go through that, which is why my DH and his younger brother aren't circumsised) and she doesn't. That's tough, since in this case there is no compromise...

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 9:21pm
Oh boy, I wouldn't even know what to do in that situation! I told my husband that I absolutely did NOT want to circumcise under any circumstance and that I was prepared to show him videos and articles and whatever I had to to change his mind, but thankfully he didn't really care. Or he just knew I'd convince him any way I had to and didn't want to put up a fight, ha