12-week screening U/S???

iVillage Member
12-week screening U/S???
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 11:44pm

Thursday we are going for the 12-week screening u/s where they check the neck thickness and some other stuff, as potential markers for Trisomy 18 and Downs.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 9:36am

I'm having the very same thing done tomorrow as well at 2pm. No idea how any of it works. I guess I'm kind of nervous, but only because as you said, it's a screen. I'm higher risk because of my age (I'm 41), but my other 3 are healthy so I'm trying not to worry overly much and trying to look at it as another opportunity to see the baby (will be our 3rd ultrasound).

I'm curious as to why you are having the test if you're not high-risk? I was under the impression that this is not a routine type of scan.

I didn't have it with my first three (heck, don't know if it was offered at those times), and already know that we're not going any further with testing, no matter what happens, at least nothing invasive, so no CVS or amnio. I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy no matter what the Ultra-screen or blood test reveal, so seems unnecessary to me.

At any rate, please update us with how it goes. Keeping happy thoughts for you!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 4:00pm

I opted to have it done with my first two, and this time it's recommended because of my age.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 8:07am

I'm having it done next Tuesday. We requested it and we're paying out of pocket for it. I'm not high risk or anything, but I'm always in favor of getting the maximum amount of information available.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 10:45am
My doctor's office said they are all optional tests, including the CF test as well. We are opting to have all of them done even though we are low risk. I think the amnio and CVS are the ones that are performed only if you are at risk, since there's a slight chance of negative effects.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 11:08am
I just did some reading and this particular type of US has only been available for the last several years, so likely it wasn't an option the last time I was pregnant. I'm just totally out of the loop, LOL.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8