15wks and 3 days

iVillage Member
15wks and 3 days
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 11:38am

Had my third appointment this morning at 8:45am. Not much really happened, lol. Doctor was a little upset that I haven't truly gained any weight back. I lost a few pounds with evil m/s and my appetite isn't really back yet and I'm having a lot of trouble with my lactose intolerance. Its much worse this time around than it was last time. There were things I could eat last time with my usual 4 pills, that I can't eat this time with 8 :( It really limits my options, largely because things I don't like are things without milk in them, so I don't wanna eat them. Not everything yes, but fruits are very low calorie, I can't eat veggies unless they are cooked a bit or dipped in ranch dressing. And animal protien makes me nauseous even when I'm not pregnant. I do plan on getting some silken tofu and frozen or fresh fruit and making some smothies with my lactose free milk, which I hope will help some. I may see if my insurance will cover working with a nutrtionist for the pregnancy, not sure yet. Maybe medicare or medicaid (whichever it is I have, for the pregnancy only) will help, if I get my doc to sign off on it. Other than that, nothing new.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 12:31pm

Sorry to hear that you're not gaining like the doc wants you to. What about nuts? I've probably gained a few pounds this week alone from my pistachios. High in protein and high calorie. Probably not so awesome fat-wise...

I don't know how you do with bread, but I picked up some high fiber, high protein whole wheat bagels the other day. They're Nature's Grain Double Fiber Plus Cinnamon Swirl. 19g of dietary fiber and 14g of protein (150 cal) . Maybe not your cup of tea, but another option. Spread peanut butter on them and then you've got some calories and more good fat from peanuts.

There's also fish if you can stomach that... I was surprised at how few calories shrimp has (but also cholesterol, dangit), and how high in protein they are. 4 oz have 23g of protein. Again, not high in calories, but maybe something you might like.

I guess I'm going with a protein thing here -- probably because I don't get enough of that myself, so I try to find it wherever I can.

Anyhoo, I hope you find something that works and can get a nutritionist. Keep us posted.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 1:10pm
I've thought about nuts, I just keep forgetting to pick some up whenever I'm grocery shopping. Should go add them to the list on the white board, then I won't :) I also try to watch my salt intake as well, have a history of heart disease in the family. Some bread gives me issues with the lactose in it, others don't. Haven't figure out the magic thing with that yet.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 2:16pm

Yeah, these pistachios I have are way too high in sodium. I drink a TON of water, but I've decided no more salted nuts (maybe none period, since I have no self control whatsoever when I eat them). I think you can find a lot unsalted, though.

I never thought about bread having lactose in it. A quick search revealed that french and italian breads do not contain lactose, as well as pita, and Indian naan bread, and some kosher brands... but you'd have to check labels to be sure.

I feel for you. I hope you get everything figured out soon!

Brie
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 4:18pm
I second the nuts! Raw almonds taste amazing (to me, anyway), and they don't have any added sodium!! Those and walnuts are 2 of the the best nuts you could eat!
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 6:13pm
Our Eddies (brand) cracked wheat doesn't give me any trouble, but the english muffins I bought are :( But DH and DS can and will eat them, so not a total loss.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 6:31am

I just googled a recipe for english muffins, and the first ingredient was milk. :( I wonder if you've considered a bread machine? You could make your own bread without milk. I did find this, for muffins and biscuits: http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/muffinsbiscuits/DairyFree_Muffin_Biscuit_Recipes.htm

Oh, and I didn't know this, but Bisquick is vegan (the dry mix, not necessarily the recipes).

Wouldn't it be great if we could just have personal chefs while pregnant? I'd be the healthiest preggo if that were the case. I eat pretty well most of the time, but would eat even healthier if I had someone here to do my bidding. LOL.

Brie
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 1:44pm
If I were to make them myself with lactose free milk, I would be fine (also no butter). I do sometimes enjoy baking, but its not something I do regularly enough to justify spending the money on a bread machine. Especially since I'm only lactose intolerant during my pregnancies. With DS I had him at 3:09am and when they brought my breakfast at 7am, I had milk and hot coco and yogurt just fine :) I'm hoping its the same this time around. Just a little worried it won't be since it is worse this time :(
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-25-2012 - 11:57am
Great advice here! Hope you find something that works for you.
Photobucket