18 week ultrasound and I found out the gender... I think

iVillage Member
18 week ultrasound and I found out the gender... I think
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 1:48pm

So... I had the ultrasound today. I have a 3.5 year old girl and really really really want a boy. As soon as the ultrasound started the tech asked me if I wanted to know. And I said yes, so she asked me if it's my first one, and I said I had a girl already. And she said 'Well this here is a little boy'. I was so freakin' excited that she had a hard time doing the rest of the US, I was all jumpy and happy. After she was done she sent a doctor in and he asked me if she told us her guess. And I'm like 'Guess???' and he said 'She guessed it was a boy and it's my guess also'.

I understand that they can't say 100%, but what are the chances of them being wrong? Why did the doctor have to put this grain of doubt in my mind, which by now (3 hours) has grown to a huge mountain of doubt.

Damn it.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

At 16w4d my tech was 100% certain that we're having a girl. I asked her several times of her certainty, because I wonder about these things, too.

I hope she's right. I have all of the baby girl things now. A little boy is going to look pretty silly for his first 6 months of life in dresses and pink things.

So, if the tech says boy at 18w, I'm about to believe her. What did YOU see? Did you get a pic you can look at? I remember seeing Jacob's equipment, and there was no mistaking he was a boy, and we had his ultrasound at 17w. This far along, I just find it unlikely mistaking a penis for a vagina. Seriously.

Regardless, congrats! I'm guessing all looks good in there!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Thanks Brie, just what I wanted to hear :)
I remember with my daughter, because I really wanted to have a boy, I asked them to give me some sort of doubt and they wouldn't... They were like 'no way it's a boy'. Maybe just this doctor was covering his butt with the 'we never say 100%' BS.
They didn't point out the junk to me, I was so syked I didn't ask for proof :) All the pics I have printed out are of the baby's profile.
But I'm thinking the same thing - you can't see the penis and then have it go away.
BTW- I absolutely LOVE the names you've chosen for your girl, I've always loved Abigail and I started to convince my hubby to name our baby Abigail if she turned out to be a girl :)
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
I think the reason they will say that is I have heard of the cord being between the legs and that being confused for a boys parts. So they will not say 100%. I got lucky with my DS and we found the cord well away from his legs :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member

That is great news!!!! Yay for little boys!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
A boyyyyyyyyy!!!!! Yay!! I agree w Brie - they always say that to cover their asses but I would be confident in what they told you :)

Make sure you update the EDD thread with gender and name, if it's picked! Congratulations!
Photobucket