3 hour gestational diabetes test

iVillage Member
3 hour gestational diabetes test
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 8:54pm

My doctor has been out of town but I assumed since it has been over three weeks I would have heard back already if there was an issue with my gestational diabetes test.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:35pm
That's not fun, and also not cool that they didn't call you to let you know. I got lucky with my first, sorta. I got to opt out of taking even the 1 hr test at first, because I'm young, Caucasian and have no family history of diabetes. But at a later appointment I had some glucose in my urine, so my doc said we can do a quick finger prick or you can just take the 1 hr. I decided to just take the 1 hr, because if the finger prick was bad, then I'd have to take it anyways. I don't like needles, so I figured one needle was better than a possible 2, lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 6:38am

I cannot believe they're just now telling you. With my labs, I not only get a phone call, but I get a letter in the mail as well as soon as results are in. Kind of ridiculous to go 3+ weeks without telling you.

Sorry you have to do the 3-hour. :( Hope it goes well.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 6:47am

Have you had a finger prick lately? The one they did for my NT labs hurt like whoa. It was like a spring-loaded needle, reminded me of an ear-piercer thing, kind of. Hurt for a couple days. But then I'm super wuss. It truly is a wonder I've birthed more than one baby.

And I know what you mean about needles. Both Libby and I are vasovagal, and we are known to faint, and not just needles. Blood, any kind of injury, graphic movies or books (a part in Stephen King's Gerald's Game almost made me faint), baby teeth coming out (seriously) and just talking about this kind of stuff.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 8:33am
I had some labs done, but it wasn't a finger prick, it was a straight up blood draw that I didn't watch happen. Funny thing is once the needle was there, I was fine, its just the needle going in me is the issue. I haven't heard back about any of my labs either I just realized, and I've had an appointment, so I'm assuming everything is fine. This medical group is good about getting back about lab results, they bugged my DH about his "mildly high" cholesterol :) (More for his age than anything really)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 2:37pm

I'm really dreading the GT.. I had it with my DS &DD.. I kind of lucked out with DS because my dr "forgot" to send me for it so I went two weeks before he was born I did end up having GD, with DD I forget when they did it, (different Dr) but they called me the same day I took the test! I asked the dr if we could just "assume" that I already have GD since I had it with the other two.