37 Week Check and Ultrasound

iVillage Member
37 Week Check and Ultrasound
Mon, 07-23-2012 - 9:30pm

Hi Ladies,

Well, the good news is that instead of gaining 4 lbs in one week (like I did last week)... I have only gained one pound this week. Whew.

The main excitement of this appointment was the ultrasound. Doctor wanted to check baby's size since they said my first was a "big baby" (although I personally don't feel that way... may be a little long, but I thought his weight was fine). So we measured baby and he/she is estimated to be 6 lbs, 14 oz here at 37 weeks. Doctor says that's just perfect and if it's correct would most likely lead to a 7.5 to 8 lb baby by my due date. No reason to hurry things along.

I asked that they not do a cervix check because I had so much cramping and spotting after last week's check. I mean does it really matter how dilated I am? It will happen when it happens. I figure I'll request holding off on cervix checks until my Monday August 6th appointment (6 days before due date). 

During the ultrasound, it was really hard for the tech to get to baby's head... the baby's face is right up in my crotch. Poor thing. They literally put the bed in the vertical with all the blood rushing to my head to get a shot of baby's face and measure the head size. Here are the two pictures we got: 

Baby's nostrils and lips: 37 Week Nostrils and Lips

Baby's Profile:

37 Week Profile

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 8:55am
I'm totally with you on the cervix checks.

As for estimation of weight, mine - all 3 - have been off.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Re: 37 Week Check and Ultrasound
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 4:53pm

I LOVE those pictures! Those lips!!! OMG! I know how anxious you are to kiss them!! :smileyhappy:

Knew your weight gain was a fluke because you had eaten lunch! That actually happened to me at my appointment yesterday! 3 lbs in a week...and when I weighed myself this morning I only showed to be up 1 lb since last week (on the same scale). I thought to myself...dang it...can they just let me email them a picture of the number on my scale every morning when I wake up before I eat?? I like that number better! Haha. And my next appointment is at 2 pm...boo.

WISH I had the discipline to not get cervix checks but I would obsess over not knowing. I am totally jealous of that kind of attitude too!

So glad to hear everything is great!!