37w 2 d appointment. Something's on!

iVillage Member
37w 2 d appointment. Something's on!
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 2:55pm

I just came back from my appointment. I've put on 3 lbs since last week (and 4 lbs the week before that, what the hell?). I am 2 cms dilated, 50% effaced, but everything was so high up. It felt like she was checking my throat through my hoo-ha, seriously.

I don't know if those 2 cms 50% amount to anything, since it's my 2nd baby, but I was quite excited to hear it.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:43pm

For me DTD has always brought on the contractions. We've always DTD right up until we've had our babys! Like the other ladies said, do what you feel is right for you!

I've also heard that about sex and walking.....although my souce was my husband! :smileywink: No, but seriously, here is what I found:

Sex:

Sperm contains prostaglandins — hormones that can help thin and dilate the cervix, ripening it for delivery. What's more, an orgasm releases the hormone oxytocin, which can trigger contractions. If nothing else, this no-cost attempt to induce labor naturally may relieve some tension — mainly from laughing as you attempt to do the deed. It's also a great way to strengthen your twosome right before you become a threesome.

Walking:

The simple act of walking during pregnancy may help draw the baby down into your pelvis (thanks to gravity and the swaying of your hips). The pressure of the baby on your pelvis may then prime your cervix for labor — or may help labor progress if you've already felt some contractions. And if walking doesn't do the trick, it'll at least get you in shape for D-day (aka delivery day). Just don't walk too much and tire yourself out before the big day. You'll need all the energy you can muster to push out that baby of yours!

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 4:46pm
I read/heard somewhere that walking and DTD (even if its some self-love) are the only things that have been "proven" by science to possibly help labor come. Note the word, possibly. With Quinn, it seemed to be what 'did it' for us, and the last two times we have, its put me into false labor. If your not comfortable, or DH isn't, then I wouldn't, but if you are, I would. Like Brie said, go with your gut on what feels right for you.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 12:53pm

Brie you were much closer to your due date.

I started losing my mucus plug today. Woo hoo!

I feel like I should vacuum my car, it's absolutely disgusting and I've been asking my husband for weeks to take care of it.

I wonder, if I DTD tonight and the labor starts, does that mean that the baby was ready to come out or that I rushed it? I mean, if it's not ready, nothing will happen, right? I haven't DTD in 37 weeks and 3 days :smileywink:

In other news, I got my eyebrows threaded (it was about time, I looked like Brezniev) and kept squealing with pain. Oh, and I went to Macys and got a shapewear - I think it will be easier to wear than the postpartum ones, just a regular Maidenform Easy-Ups very high waisted undies with a flap on the hoo-ha. Can't wait to wear it!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

You're not horrible:smileyhappy:  Pregnancy is hard on your body.. completely agree with everyone else.  You have done an amazing job creating another human being...  the last weeks are the hardest, I think.  

Sending you positive thoughts!

Julia

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 9:20am

You are not horrible!  Part of me wishes this baby wanted to come right now - and I am only 36 weeks, 1 day - so really, I don't want him/her to come yet - but I'm just very excited!  And being excited about having your baby in your arms only makes you a good mommy!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 8:29am
C'mon, you know that's not true. We are all at the point where we want the baby out! If you are a horrible mother than so am I!
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 6:09pm
I feel so guilty for wanting this baby out already. I've considered DTD, bath etc but what if he's not ready and something ends up being wrong with him because I didn't carry him until 40 weeks :smileysad: I'm such a horrible mother :smileysad:
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 4:47pm
Woot! Every little bit you get now is just that much less you have to go through when you're in actual labor. Cheers to progress!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 4:37pm

Woohoo, that sounds like a very exciting appointment! I had my doctor strip my membranes but it felt like she was stripping my brain! She literally had one hand up my hoo-ha and with her other hand she was pressing down on my belly!