In the hospital yesterday...

iVillage Member
In the hospital yesterday...
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 2:10pm

So I know that I don't leave many comments or posts I mostly just lurk but I thought I would come here for a little support. I had my 39 week appt yesterday and everything seemed ok until the NP started talking to me about my belly measuring small ( I am currently measuring 36 weeks). Well last week when I saw a doctor in the office a doctor I have never seen before he told me that I was measuring a little on the small side and asked if I had had an ultrasound recently. I told him no and he left it at that. I didn't think much of it because at one point I measured small for a few weeks with my last baby. Yesterday I found out that last week I was measuring 34 weeks. That's 34 weeks when I was 38 weeks. To me that isn't a little small that's a pretty significant difference. Anyways yesterday the NP sent me for a BPP and all of the baby's measurements are good except the baby's belly is measuring 35 weeks. They don't know why and the only explanations I got were he is gaining the weight where he needs it which is his head or he wasn't getting enough nutrients. Well to me that's not really helpful. As the person carrying this baby for the past 9 months I want to make sure that I am doing everything right to make sure this baby is getting everything he needs and that he is growing right. After my BPP failure they sent me to the hospital to monitor the baby's HR for a while which ended up being perfect. Baby was moving good and his HR would go up when he moved all of the things they want to see. In the end I am happy that he is not in distress but I am a little peeved that they didn't check him last week to see if there was anything wrong. As much as I don't want to be induced especially after my hellish induction with my daughter I am thinking that it might be time for this baby to come out. I have an appt with my normal DR on Thursday so if I don't have him by then I think I am going to discuss induction with her. I feel at this point I would be much more comfortable with him out and getting good nutrients from breast feeding than him staying in there and me worrying all day everyday that the enviroment he is in might not be perfect for him anymore. I can not imagine me worrying is doing him any good anyways. Oook I think I am done venting. Sorry so long ladies.

Mandi

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 2:04pm

I would worry too.  However, since the baby's heartrate & movement are good and the docs don't seem overly concerned - I would also take that as good signs. 

I have something called Marginal Cord Insertion where the cord comes out of the side of the placenta instead of the middle.  They had me do several U/S growth checks for this b/c it can cause slower growth in some babies.  Although I was always told that typically there are no problems and most of the time you don't even know you have it.  That being said, they told me that if the baby were measuring small - they would monitor the heartrate etc & that as long as that was ok, then I shouldn't worry.  If they thought there was an issue, they could look at other things & determine if the baby seemed in danger & needed to come out.  Of course, this may not be at all what you have - but FWIW - if it was - I just wanted to say that it shouldn't be a big deal. 

The baby will be here soon no matter what is decided - try to focus on that & that the docs wouldn't put the baby in danger.  ((HUGS))

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 4:45pm
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be upset too. Let us know what your regular doc says. Hopefully they'll just induce and get baby out so he can be checked out better.

Photobucket