Midwife is awesome, homebirth's a go!

iVillage Member
Midwife is awesome, homebirth's a go!
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 9:57am
Tom (my husband) and I, and our kids, met with our midwife last week. We had lots of questions, with our biggest concerns being risk assessment, emergent situations, and her history/background/education. We left in the happiest mood. My kids wanted her to come sleepover, Tom hugged her, and I felt all the stress and anxiety of the possibility of a birth I didn't want give way to the hope for the exact birth we do want. I am so happy to have a plan in place, and one with an actual CNM, a woman who has been delivering babies since 1972, and attending homebirth's for the last 2 years. She worked in the local hospital for a decade prior to that, so she's friendly with the hospital staff and familiar w hospital births as well. We couldn't be more comfortable with our choice.

I have my first true appointment with her today. Can't wait to see her again! What an amazing way to feel about one's OB care provider.

Who else gets the warm fuzzies from their OB or midwife?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 12:50pm
Awesome! I had a midwife (CNM) with my first pregnancy, she was amazing! I absolutly loved her. We delivered in a hospital but it was still an amazing all natural experience and I was very pleased. With my second pregnancy we moved to another state, my insurance was pretty bad so we sort of had to go where they would accept us, HUGE mistake. I had a horrible doctor and a terrible hospital experience. Third pregnancy, I had a wonderful doctor throughout my pregnancy who also delivered our baby (hospital again) but I had a doula (BEST DECISION EVER!!) It was a super natural, super special experience. I'm having the same doc and dula this time. I'm very excited :-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 6:12pm
That's aweome! There truly is something powerful about having a provider that just believes in and adores you. I feel adored. So glad you get to have that experience again! My last two were born in Cali (and the first in NY) so I had to start all over with someone new this time. I was so nervous.

The appointment was even better than I hoped!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 11:52pm
Woot woot!!! Yay for you! I'm so happy that you found a great midwife who will do your home birth. Everyone I know who's done one has had a wonderful experience. A close friend pushed for many hours, and she's sure that if she were in a hospital, she would have had to had interventions (that ultimately proved unnecessary, because baby was doing just fine). Since you've had babies already, I'm sure your body will know just what to do, and that your birth will be wonderful (and you won't push for hours--lol).

I love my midwife group, and because I can deliver at an alternative birth center within the hospital, I'm fine with being there. If I didn't have that option, I'd be more intent on trying to set up a home birth. But since we don't have a lot of extra $$, and our insurance is very decent, it's nice to not have to pay out of pocket (which we would with a home birth). This country's medical/insurance practices are so screwy...but I digress.

Congrats again!
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 7:52am
What a wonderful thing to have those choices! A birth center, hospital, at home, the setting is as important as the people championing for you and their belief in birth. I agree your friend would have been intervened with, or she would have given up, depending on the people around her and the hospital's general belief.y hospital out in Cali was a total woman-can-birth, midwife-centered Naval hospital. I had two great births there. Unfortunately the Naval hospital here in NC is not cut from the same cloth. And, 40 women have my due date there! Gah! There's only 20 L + D rooms. And now I digress. :)

I heard baby Hank/Lola's heartbeat yesterday - 160s - and my urine and blood pressure were spot on excellent. I got cleared to continue running (wooooooooooo!), and both of my older kids got to help with the Doppler. Jolie even got to cuddle with me on the table while we looked for the heartbeat. And, I had a nice hour-long talk with the midwife and assistant!

Unfortunately this is an out-of-pocket expense for us too, but this is our last birth. So after lots (and I mean lots. Months!) of discussion, we're OK with it.

Thanks for being so support, girls. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 8:30am

Sounds like this is going to be a great experience for all of you! Extra bonus that your midwife is so experienced. I'm really excited for you! :)

I like my OB a lot. I've been lucky with this one and the OB with Jake -- very attentive and address all of my concerns. Her nurse is great, too. And the nicest thing is that unlike past OBs (I've had different ones with each baby), this office is run like clockwork. My appointments start on time so there's no waiting. Since I have to take time off from work for these appointments, it makes it easier to budget my time. I loathe waiting around in doctor's offices.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 8:34am
That's awesome! Exactly what you want in a provider. Individualized care, for sure. We are one lucky group of ladies! Keep the happy provider stories coming, August mamas! There's a good karma settling over our soon-to-be-written birth stories.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 8:06pm

I can't say I get the warm fuzzies from my OB... but there are a few doctor's there that I really like! Glad to hear things are looking so good for your home birth.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 3:16pm
That's awesome! I would love a home birth, but my husband thinks I'm crazy, plus I'm over an hour from a hospital if something went wrong.

How exciting!?!?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 12:32am
Congrats!! We are using a midwife, planning a homebirth, and paying out of pocket. Our midwife is a close friend of ours, so we knew her ahead of time.

Chelsey, who's your souls? What does she charge? A friend is planning a hospital birth in CR and has asked me about doulas.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 12:33am
That should be who's your doula. Not souls. Autocorrect, got to love it.