Trying not to freak out!

iVillage Member
Trying not to freak out!
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 11:03pm

Hi ladies, I just got my NT results and my risk came back elevated. It went from 1 in 198 based on my age to 1 in 69. I know that there are lots of false positive results but I'm still feeling pretty anxious. I didn't get that much of a chance to talk to the dr because he called me in the middle of class, so I will call back tomorrow and see if I can get specifics on measurement vs. bloodwork info. I am trying to stay positive! This pregancy has been a little hard already due to 8 weeks of morning sickness and early onset gestational diabetes. I really just want some good news! Anyone else out there with elevated numbers? Anyone out there been through an amnio?

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 7:07am

I was nervous about the NT scan and then waiting for results, and not sure what I would have done if we'd come back with a higher than normal risk (well, we wouldn't have sought anything invasive, but I'd be a nervous wreck for sure). However, keep in mind that it's just a screening tool. It's not a diagnosis. I keep that in mind with our results -- no guarantee that baby is A-OK in there, either.

But I'd be a mess, so I understand. I hope you get more answers when you talk to the doc. Best of luck with however you decide to proceed.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 4:19pm
Have you heard anything yet?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 9:57pm
I found out that what increased my risk was my papp-a result. It is very low at .28, they worry if it is below .5. 1 is normal. I will have some additional blood work and an amnio in 2 weeks. Still pretty nervous but glad to have more info. My measurement and hcg levels were normal.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 7:21am

Glad you got some more info, and good luck! Are you going to find out the gender of the baby as well? Keep us posted for sure.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
Community Leader
Sat, 03-03-2012 - 12:51am
HI there :) I am just a lurker but wanted to share with you that with my DD my papp-a result was low and my HCG was high which put us at an increased risk for Down's. My ultrasound was really good - the neck fold was normal - the nasal bone was there and a few other markers they check looked fine - but I was super freaked out when they told me it was at a 1 in 25 risk for Down's.......I was 38 at the time which makes my numbers riskier anyways but I was very scared when I heard those odds. It was a very hard decision to do the amnio as we knew we would not terminate no matter what but wanted to know for sure what was going on. In the end the amnio was not so scary - they were so knowledgeable and reassuring at the hospital - I was comforted by the whole process and yes it it hurt a bit when the needle went in but it was short and quick. I got to see baby girl up on the screen and far away from where the needle went in - went home after that and tried very hard to stay on the couch for 2 or 3 days - no bending over or lifting at all - took it very seriously to avoid causing problems. The very worst part of the process is waiting the 2 weeks for the results. That was torture! There is a test called a FISH test that they can do and get prelim results in 24 hours so maybe google that for info and then find out if that is an option for you if you go ahead with amnio. Our little one is 11 months old and sleeping peacefully in my arms but I will never forget how stressful that time was. I wish you luck and with your numbers, I honestly wouldn't worry too much - your odds are very, very good that it will all be just fine. Hugs, Jasmine
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-03-2012 - 7:18am

I would not put too much weight in those numbers. This is why I avoid this test. The numbers can come back elevated but it in no way means anything is wrong. In fact, one of my close friends got a "negative" result (not elevated) and she thought all was just exactly fine with her baby. Come delivery, her baby was born with down syndrome. (He's precious, by the way!) So it can really go either way... no matter the results of the NT.

Photobucket