Ultrasound

iVillage Member
Ultrasound
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 4:14pm

This is my 2nd pregnancy in four months. My first ended in miscarriage at 5 1/2 weeks in late September.

I have my first ultrasound scheduled for this Friday, January 6 to see the heart beat. I am so nervous/excited to see our baby. I'm nervous that maybe there's nothing there.

I have my 2nd OBGYN on 1/30 at 12 weeks;1 day to hear the heart beat. When you hear the heart beat, do you get another ultrasound?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
In reply to: j8songrl
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 1:48pm
Sorry to hear about your recent MC and congrats on your pregnancy.

US depend on the doc. I had my first one at 5 weeks and another at 8 weeks. My doc does them in office so it is pretty nice to get them often.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 12:39pm
Unfortunately, Amanda miscarried. I imagine she hasn't been back to update us because it's probably difficult ... I know when I had my 2nd miscarriage, I couldn't deal with other pregnancies... happy for them, sure, but just brings it home what you've lost. Such sad stuff. :(

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 8:13pm
So, how did it go???
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-05-2012 - 12:27pm

I think it depends on your doc, and maybe your history.

With #1 and #2, I had one US each, sometime in the 2nd trimester. With #3, I had several ultrasounds in the first trimester, maybe 1 in the second, but then I had emergency surgery at 8 weeks with him, and he was on the heels of my 2nd MC (due to low progesterone), and I had low progesterone with him as well.

With this pregnancy, I'm 41, so high risk anyway, have the low progesterone history and low progesterone again with this baby, so my doc is keeping a close eye on me. Had my first US the day after I got the BFP since I had been bleeding (think it was implantation, though), my 2nd one while she checked the heartbeat, and we have our third ultrasound next Thursday to check for abnormalities (because of my age). If all looks well in there, I doubt she'll necessarily order another US on her own, but I'll ask for at least one more to ascertain gender. My insurance isn't covering these extra ones, but the doc only charges me $112, so worth it for peace of mind and all that.

Also, my current OB (different one for each child) has US capabilities in the office -- they have at least 4 of these ultrasound rooms, maybe 6. Lab work is also done right there in the office. So, it could depend on availability and ease of the procedures, too. I've never had a doc who had everything in their office before, but it makes my life so much easier than having to traipse all over the place to get something done.

Anyhoo, hard to know what to expect. I hope you get the US, though. Pictures are just great. :)

Brie
#4 EDD 8/5/12

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 7:30pm

It is my understanding at my first appointment (next week at 9 weeks), we will be using the doppler to hear the heartbeat. No U/S is done until 20 weeks, unless we cannot find the heartbeat with the doppler. That's how it worked with my first pregnancy as well.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 4:28pm
It really depends on your doctor. With DD I had an US at 11 weeks to confirm and that was it until the 20 week scan. With this baby I've been bleeding do I had one today (5 weeks/5day-ish) and we will repeat in 1 week to see the heartbeat. Midwife says if all is well and we can hear the heartbeat with a Doppler at my 12 week appointment then there will be no US. Just ask the doc on Friday what the plan is for the next one!

Jenn (28) & DH Zach (28)
Married 9/24/2005