1st appoinment update

iVillage Member
1st appoinment update
Wed, 12-12-2012 - 6:46pm

Appointment went really well - mostly basic stuff (here's your list of ok meds to take, eat healthy, don't take up waterskiing, etc). We are up in the air on transferring to the hight risk OB now though - our current OB is AWESOME he just doesn't deliver at the hospital with the level 3 NICU, but he said by the time I would deliver (if I don't go too early) the one he delivers at will probably be a level 3 NICU (they are working on that designation). Right now they can handle premature babies as early as 28 weeks, which is about when I delivered my daughter. He seems pretty confident he can deal with me and my history. We did ask about Makena/17p progesterone and he said because I never had contractions before my water broke the last time there is a bit of controversy if the injections would even work for me, but, he also said they probably wouldn't do any harm either. Those would start somewhere between 16-20 weeks.

So that's where I'm at for now - I'm comfortable staying with him for the time being I may change my mind as 28/29 weeks gets closer. He said there is also a rumor that the high risk OB that delivered my daughter may be moving back to Phoenix from Texas in the future - and if that's the case all bets are off and I am hunting her down, lol. I have my next dr. appointment and a dating u/s scheduled for Jan. 7th. Then we'll look as scheduling the first trimester screen (really just to ease my DH's concerns because we have no risks for Down's).

The only other thing was getting DH screened for Cystic Fibrosis since we found out I was a carrier with the prenatal labs he did a few months ago. He's more freaked out over that than I am - no one in either side of our families has CF so our risk is relatively small.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone else starts off!

-Kristina

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2012 - 8:12am
Hi Kristina, It sounds like a great appointment and your OB sounds really good. I'm glad you found someone you are comfortable with that really seems to know his stuff. Please let us know how your appointment goes on the 7th!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 12:19pm
HI Kristina! I was just snooping in on the Aug EDD board to see how some of my fellow TTCers were doing. Sounds like you had a good appt, I hope the CF test comes back neg. I didn't know you were in Phoenix. So am I. My friend delivered at 28 weeks with her son (her water broke at 26). She got a referral to a really wonderful high risk doc. If you want the info, just PM me and I'll send it your way. Would you deliver at PCH? Glad to see you are well. Take care! Brooke