High Risk appt Update

iVillage Member
High Risk appt Update
Sun, 04-07-2013 - 2:39am

Well this figures with the way this pregnancy has been going.

My cervical scan this past Friday showed A LOT of funneling and my cervix is now 1.7/1.8ish???? It was closer to 3 and closed last week! I've also started to dilate slightly (about 1cm). We've opted to go ahead and do a cerclage which is supposed to be scheduled for Monday afternoon/evening sometime, but I don't have any info yet, so I'll be calling the office first thing Monday morning about that. I'll be in the hospital for 2-3 days and then should be discharged back to light duty for a few weeks. Hopefully all looks well after that and depending on how my cervix looks I might be able to go back to no restrictions.

So frustrating when I've basically put myself on bedrest (Dr.'s only have me on pelvic rest and light duty) to avoid all of this, I'm already on 17p injections, and my cervix just won't cooperate and stay shut. :(

Here's hoping I'm not in too much pain after this procedure - I have too much to do!!!

Kristina

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-07-2013 - 10:48pm

Oh my goodness!  I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of that...but it's good at least that your doctors are monitoring things and taking it seriously.  Hopefully the cerclage goes well (I'd be terrified to have a stitch being what's holding things closed!  Not to mention having them messing about down there in the first place!).  

Did they say "light duty" means not complete bedrest?  Did they give you an idea of when the cerclage would be removed?  Best of luck and keep that baby baking as long as you can!

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-08-2013 - 11:23am

Oh, Kristina.  I'm sorry you are going through so much.  I hope the cerclage procedure is quick and relatively pain-free so that you are back on your feet again soon.  HUGS! 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 9:23pm

Had the cerclage done late Monday night, everything went as well as could be expected. The doctor that did it is supposed to be one of the best in the area for cervical issues. I actually only ended up staying in the hospital until late Tuesday night (just over 24 hours). Since I wasn't contracting and wasn't in a ton of pain there wasn't any reason to keep me any longer, today (Thursday) has been the first day I haven't felt like I was still in a medication fog. I'm supposed to take 600 mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours until Saturday just to make sure my uterus doesn't get too crampy on me. So far so good, definitely a good thing I had it done, there wasn't much cervix left (about 1cm and already 1cm dilated) so there was the very real possibility that I may have delivered in the next few weeks if we had just sat at watched it. Everything definitely feels tighter and more pulled together now, which is a much better feeling than before when it seemed like my insides were sinking. Oddly enough DH says it looks like I'm carrying higher than I was before, feels that way too.

FYI - Magnesium sulfate, while effective in relaxing the uterus pretty much relaxes everything else too, DH told me I looked stoned when he came to visit Tuesday afternoon - I was not all there! And I had my first experience with Proprofol during the procedure too (yep, that stuff) which when administered in the hospital under the direction of a licensed anesthesiologist is pretty nice - but yea, that made me loopy too. And then one of the doses of Demerol put me in a super deep sleep - they put me on oxygen for a bit after that (I guess its hard to remember to breath when your that out of it!).

Anyway, today has been my homework catch-up day. Still behind since I haven't made it to classes this week, but my teachers are pretty understanding. At this point I don't care if they re-evaluate the points I can earn on homework or not, I just need to get through it and learn the material. Trying to teach myself statistics hasn't been the easiest thing though. : / 

The cerclage will be taken out around week 36, so I will at least make it until July sometime, barring any other complication popping up. I think I've had enough complications for this pregnancy though - good thing this will be my last!

Hope all is well with everyone else!

Kristina