Scary, sudden turn of events...

iVillage Member
Scary, sudden turn of events...
Fri, 06-14-2013 - 3:50pm

Everything had been going pretty well so far, aside from a few extra BH contractions that I started noticing earlier than in my previous two pregnancies (I figured it was due to it getting hotter, I should be drinking more water, and also figured they start earlier in subsequent pregnancies or something like that).

Anyway, we had a great deal of stress (that I won't get into the details of) at work about two weeks ago and the BH contractions (or what I thought/think they were) started coming on more frequently, and at least once a day they were registering a little more on my pain scale.  Still not super painful like I remember labor contractions being, but still uncomfortable enough to stop me in my tracks.  I tried the usual stuff...sitting down, putting my feet up, drinking lots of water, but those things didn't change anything, and the water would sometimes bring on a contraction.  So I called the nurse at the doctors office to see if there was anything she could suggest I try...and after asking a few questions, she thought it best that I come in and get things checked out.

I felt a bit dumb, because I had my regular 28-week check up scheduled for the next morning (ha!).  I didn't have a UTI, wasn't leaking amniotic fluid.  Did a fetal fibronectin swab, but it would take a while for the results.  Cervix was 1-2cm dilated when she checked though.  I figured, no biggie, I've always seemed dilate sort of early anytime they've checked (but they've never checked at 28 weeks!).  Just to be on the safe side, she sent me to the ultrasound tech to get my cervical length measured.  I was all set to just go home to wait for the results of everything.

Instead, the doctor came in, holding the fFN swab and reported that my cervical length was a little less than 1.5 cm.  Since I was having sporadic contractions, at this point she felt I needed to go to OB triage at the hospital to be monitored (and they could process the fFN test a lot more quickly too).  Drove myself all the way to the hospital, got checked in and set up in triage (still thinking I'd get monitored and go home in a few hours).  Nope.  I was contracting 7-8 times an hour, and about an hour later the fFN test came back postitive.  *insert freak out*

The next thing I know I'm being pumped full of magnesium sulfate, and I'm getting the first steroid shot to speed up baby's lung development.  I spent the next few days there (admitted Wednesday afternoon, discharged Saturday afternoon) having them stop labor.  Now I'm at home on pretty strict bedrest (bathroom is fine, shower every other day OK).  I would have never thought this would have happened, much less happened so quickly.  Things are still in a holding pattern (very occasional contraction...only once or twice a day that I notice), but I really don't trust myself to be able to detect contractions well.  Still at about 1.5cm dilated, and 1.5cm cervical length (no change, but no improvement).  

This pregnancy had been going so quickly for me, but now everything is going in slow motion...just waiting...ugh!

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-05-2013 - 9:55am

How scary, Amy!  How are you doing now?  Are you still on bedrest?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-07-2013 - 10:27pm

Still on bedrest...sort of.  After 4 weeks of "strict" bedrest, one of the doctors in the practice said she didn't think bedrest did a bit of good, so she lifted it (and took me off all medication).  That completely backfired.  I attempted a short shopping trip to Target, and did a few loads of laundry and dishes (I didn't do heavy lifting or anything) over the course of 2 or 3 days.  I ended up in the hospital again this past Friday night/Saturday :(  . I was contracting more than I thought again, and they're getting longer in duration.  

Even though they're not in the range of painful (just uncomfortable, like BH contractions), I'm now 4cm dilated (@32 weeks).  I keep thinking that I'm going to run out of centimeters here before I hit term if I keep going at that rate! Good news is that the doctor at the hospital gave me nifedipine (vs the other one who gave me nothing!).  

I guess I'm still really optimistic that I'll make it to term, but some days it's harder to believe!  

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers