Breast Pumps

iVillage Member
Breast Pumps
Wed, 05-22-2013 - 7:39pm

So I've been super curious ever since <insert name of updated health care legislation> went into effect regarding breast pumps/lactation support.  I've heard rumors for a while that there are some that could get a "free" breast pump, or have some sort of breast pump rental covered.  Curiosity got the best of me and I went through my work's health insurance book.

It says, quite vaguely, that the policy covers the purchase of no more than one electric breast pump per calendar year, obtained through an authorized medical supply company.  It's classified as "durable medical equipment".  I broke down one day when I had a little time to call and just ask.  Well, that was easy...the lady I talked to point blank told me that my insurance policy covers the purchase of a breast pump 100%.  She said it's a relatively new benefit (so not a lot of people know about it, and they aren't contracted to too many medical supply companies that offer it), but she did give me the names of the two places in town here that supply them.  I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone is looking into this too.

My insurance is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Arizona (PPO).  The two medical supply companies they gave me information for are Edgepark and Symbius.  The Edgepark webpage gives a lot more information than Symbius did (they didn't even mention that they carry breast pumps).  The person I talked to on the phone at the insurance company said that Symbius wants you to fax a prescription from your doctor, but it looks like Edgepark will take care of contacting your physician.  Edgepark lists three different pumps available...Ameda, Playtex and Medela double electric pumps.  I haven't called yet (I plan to call Edgepark, but seeing as how my due date is still 3 months away, I figured I'd wait another month).  

I have to say if I get a new pump (hoping if all goes well!!!), that I will be THRILLED!  I have a Medela manual one and a Medela Swing (single electric), but it's difficult to keep up with the supply and demand after returning to work.  And the "good" pumps usually run at least $250-300 or more...which we really don't have lying around.  Has anyone else looked into getting a breast pump in this way, what kind did you get, how much did insurance cover, and have you gotten it already (before delivery)?  

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-23-2013 - 8:03am

How very cool that your insurance will be covering your pump.  I love this new legislation!  I wanted to share links with you to the two pumping boards here on iVillage.  If you are looking for more feedback/advice, you may want to check there.  The ladies there are quite knowledgeable and have a lot of experience to share. I'm sure they'd love to share their thoughts about pumps with you.  Good luck!

Working & Pumping- http://www.ivillage.com/forums/forum/18936

Exclusively Pumping- http://www.ivillage.com/forums/pregnancy-parenting/babies/exclusively-pumping

photo snowsiggy.png