Buying Things for Baby Yet?

iVillage Member
Buying Things for Baby Yet?
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 8:57am

Are you starting to buy things for baby? If so, what things have you picked up so far? BTDT ladies- do you have any great tips or tricks on ways to save a few dollars as you prepare?  If so, please share!

Mom-to-Mom Tips on Budgeting for Baby- http://www.ivillage.com/stockpile-diapers/6-b-1410​09?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 12:42pm

Not yet, but soon.  I'm starting with maternity stuff for now.

My needs are much less this time around since this is my third.  I don't want tons of newborn clothes, they will never wear it all. I'm concentrating on having only what is necessary the first few months.  Diapers and wipes!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-10-2013 - 11:30pm

I hear ya Misty!  I'm not really in the mode yet to think/worry about baby things either (it's my 3rd as well).  We haven't even put away the new baby swing that we bought for DS2 (he doesn't use it, and hasn't for almost a year, but we let him fall asleep to the music up until recently, so it's still in the boys room).

I'm guessing in a few months I might start doing the "buy a box of diapers/wipes with each paycheck" thing to stash away.  Once we know if this one is a boy or a girl, I might catch a few things on clearance that are going out of season (that they probably wouldn't use until they are a little older).  

We honestly don't have the room to store all of the stuff until it would be used by a newborn!  Cool

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-11-2013 - 4:02pm

That is a great idea Amy, to buy diapers and wipes each paycheck!  I'm going to start doing that.  I did break dow nand buy a pair of maternity pants, a pair of shorts and a new maternity shirt.  But, wearing them I look way more than 10 weeks preggo.  Too bad it's not all baby in the bump...lol.

I'm also going to wait until we know if it'sa boy or girl before we buy clothes.  I have a lot of 3 month plus that we did keep from the last DD, but if it's a boy we'll have to start from scratch.  I am going to find some thrift stores and consignment stores.  

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-12-2013 - 10:27pm

Planning on doing about the same thing, not worrying about clothes or anything until we know if its a boy or girl, but will be starting to stock up on diapers and wipes in a few different sizes probably mostly 1 and 2's and a few newborns since most babies outgrow or out-poop the newborn size fairly quick.  :) Of course I'm still crossing my fingers that I won't need to be buying any preemie sized diapers for this one either.

The only other major pieces of furniture we need to buy are a crib and dresser/changing table, since the crib/changer we had for our daughter is now her full size bed and dresser. Hubby was thinking we could change it back but I had gotten rid of all the crib pieces a while back. I always figured that it was hers to grow up with anyway, but won't be spending that much for the crib for this munchkin. But depending of if its a boy or girl that changes the color of crib I want to get for them. Especially since I still want a 4-in-1 or 3-in-1 combo crib that will grow with them too.

I also can't wait to buy paint for the nursery. Its our daughter's playroom at the moment and DH had the *brilliant* idea to paint if a bright day glo orange (seriously, the paint frickin' glows, we can never tell if the light is actually on or not!), lol. I can't wait to be rid of that color!

-Kristina

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-14-2013 - 10:06pm

We aren't buying anything yet. I first thought about buying diapers in advance but really we'll be able to put all that into our regular monthly budget when the time comes. I'm planning on buying a proper pram. We lived in the Us when all our other babies were born and we never needed one like that. Now we live in Europe and will need a stroller that can be pushed even in the snow. I'm planning on putting money aside each month to afford a nice used pram. That will be the most expensive thing that we need to get. I've saved a lot of DD's newborn clothes up to 6-9 months. If it's a boy then we'll have to start from scratch. My youngest boy is 7,5 and I gave all his baby clothes away right before the big move.

I'll be looking to buy 2nd hand and will probably order from gymboree when they have a really good sale. But not until we know the gender. :)

S

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 12:22pm
I was browsing baby stuff yesterday, and they have a lot of new things that they didn't have them my DD's were babies. They have little cradles/bouncers that baby can rock or sleep in, and they convert into a toddler seat for later. Great value I think, and they were under $45. I am thinking of getting one of those, but that would be about the only thing we'll buy new. We're going shopping for a bigger van in a couple of months, and we'll need a kitchen table because we have a tiny one, and with three kids that will be impossible. We'll also need a dresser. My mother in law is taking care of getting a crib and car seat, so that is good!!

~Misty~