Fluid on the Brain?

iVillage Member
Fluid on the Brain?
Mon, 06-17-2013 - 7:58pm

Hi, my name is Leigh. I'm 35 years old and am currently 30 weeks along with #3, due August 24. Sorry I haven't come on here earlier to introduce myself, but with it being #3 I thought I'd breeze right through my pregnancy.

I have always had uncomplicated pregnancies so for something to arrise with #3 has really taken us for a loop. We had our full ultrasound early at 17 weeks due to me spotting and found I had a partial placenta previa. I was scheduled for another ultrasound at 28 weeks to check on it. When I went to that ultrasound all was well with my placenta but they found that the fluid in my son's brain venticals was uneven. The left was a 9 and the right was at a 4. When I spoke with the doctor that day she told me that at the 17 week scan he was an even 7 on both sides. They then scheduled me for another ultrasound which happened today.

At todays ultrasound the fluid on the left side had gone up to a 12 and the right side was still at a 4. Structurally he looks great they said - that he was forming just like he was supposed to and didn't see any other complications. She also said that the left side (that is at 12) doesn't seem to be bulging or putting any pressure on the right side. Her only concern is the obvious difference between the two sides and she's not quite sure why it's happening.

I guess typcailly with "Fluid on the Brain" both sides are enlarged but in our case only one is. We are being sent to a high risk doctor on Thursday for yet another ultrasound to see if they can find any answers. I've been told that they won't really act on the swelling until it's around 20 or above and that they handle it after delivery. Apparently this is more common than I was aware? They want to keep an eye on it to see where his levels go and also mentioned it could be something that fixes on it's own.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any advice? Trying not to worry over here...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-18-2013 - 8:08am

Hi Leigh,

Welcome to the board and congrats on your pregnancy!  I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with such stress at this point in your pregnancy.  I've never experienced this myself, but wanted to offer a few (((HUGS))).  I can imagine this has given you a lot of anxiety.Sending you tons of positive thoughts- please keep us posted on how you are doing.  

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-18-2013 - 8:23pm

Hi Leigh!  I don't have any experience with fluid on the brain either, but it sounds like your doctors are watching it pretty closely and taking it seriously, even if it isn't at a 20.  Did they give you any reasons why it could be happening?  What the treatment is after birth?  Are they going to monitor it after he's born?

I'd have so many questions...It'd be hard not to be Googling everything (or staying off Google so you don't scare yourself!).  Keep us posted!!!

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers