How many people will be in the delivery room?

iVillage Member
How many people will be in the delivery room?
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 12:45pm

Have you given much thought to how many people will be in the delivery room with you on the big day?  My MIL is insisting on being there (ugh) which means a total of 4 (my hubby, BF, mom, her) and it just feels like too much to me.  How do you politely decline having someone in the room with you? Ack! 

photo makesmewondersig_zps5842bb06.png

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-28-2013 - 10:46pm

It's been just hubby and I in the delivery room for our last two, planning on only us two this time around as well.  Luckily, neither my mom or MIL have any desire to be in the delivery room...and I just don't feel like having anyone else there for that intimate of an experience (unless they were there when the baby was made or a necessary medical professional...they aren't invited :) ).

Anyhoo...if you don't want MIL there, are you OK with a little white lie?  Like..."sorry, there's a limit as to how many can be there and I already promised my mom and BF...hospital policy!"  I think one of the hospitals that I delivered at actually did have a limit as to the number of people (they could tag in and tag out, but I think the limit was two people in there at any given time).  

Hopefully she'll take the decline gracefully...and your husband backs you up on it!

~Amy

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-30-2013 - 2:04am

Just just my husband and midwife for the labor, and in the last couple of minutes before the baby is born, and extra midwife is called in. Birth is a very intimate experience, and distractions and nerves actually impact the way your brain and body respond. If you're not comfortable with MIL being there, just say so. It shouldn't be sensitive at all; it's just not her birth and not her choice.